Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Rear Tire Change

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  SteveJB 
#1 ·
In the 10 years I rode my VN900 I changed out the rear tire 4 times. Each time I had the same problem putting the wheel back on. I never worked out a solution. I just struggled each time, then when it was complete, I forgot all about it.
Here’s the problem. The only thing that holds the brake caliper bracket on is the axle. But the axle goes in from the other side of the bike. So I would get everything precariously lined up, lower the bike gently down to line up the holes and start sliding the axle through. About half way through the bracket would slip out of place and I couldn’t get it back without pulling the axle out and starting over. Usually it would take me 4 or 5 tries before everything stayed put and the axle slid through.
Well, I replaced the rear tire on my Vaquero for the first time yesterday. When I took the wheel off to take it to the shop, I realized I was going to have the same problem. At 2:00 am yesterday morning, I finally figured it out. For those that already worked it out, I gave myself good, hard dope slap when I was done.
With everything still removed, I placed the bracket on the frame. I located a socket that had about the same O.D. as the axle and slipped it into the bracket, pushing it far enough in that it also sat in the frame. I used a zip tie to lock the bracket to the frame and, like magic, everything slipped right into place the first time. I can’t believe I didn’t figure this out years ago! Now to see what kind of mileage I get out of this Shinko 777.

See less See more
#5 ·
Having given myself the same good hard dope-slap, there are two things I can't figure out...

1. Why I didn't work this out for myself, despite many, many wheel on's & wheel off's, much cursing, many skinned knuckles.

2. Why no one thought to share this excellent idea until now. Pilot you should be ashamed of yourself... 60,000 miles you've kept this secret?

#7 ·
I guess I have to apologize. It was such a no brainer I just assumed most people could figure it out on their own. And yes I know what happens when you assume.:grin2: I put the shaft in on that side so I get it in the exact position, then use a heave duty zip tie to hold it there while I put the shaft in from the other side. I don't leave the zip tie on there though because that bracket slides back and forth when you're adjusting the belt tension and I don't want any more resistance than necessary when I'm adjusting it. I read a lot of tips and tricks on here and I know how everyone swears that their method is the best and only one to use. I find a lot of them aren't all that there claimed to be but some are good though. So, I just keep things to myself. :smile2:

#6 ·
This is a real "duh" moment! I've removed/installed my rear tire 3 times now, and I had help the last 2 times. Even with the extra pair of hands that bracket is a challenge. Thanks for sharing that tip. I'm sure that'll make it a bunch easier.!!!

#13 ·
Now to see what kind of mileage I get out of this Shinko 777.
I know soon this thread will be 2 yrs old, but I wanted to ask how's your rear Shinko 777 wearing?. I recently switched to Shinko 777 HD F&R and want to get an idea what mileage to expect. So far I have about 1K miles on both tires and looking still good.

#14 ·
I wasn't pleased, but I think it may have been my fault. I put the OEM size on the rear and realized after I'd replaced it with a $300 Metzler that the OEM size 777 is NOT Heavy Duty. After about 6K miles I started getting serious slop in the corners, especially above 60 mph. Felt like I was riding a flat. The bike would weave through the corner instead of tracking a smooth arc. Scared the crap out of me. I found out afterwards that I should have gone to the next size up and gotten the HD version. Since you went HD Front and Rear, you should be alright. If I'm still on this bike when I burn out the Metzler, I'll try the 777 again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.