Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i seen someone said you can put a 240 rear mtzzler tire on the back of a stock vulcan 2000 just wondered what the exact size was thanks

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
how exactly do you need to be?

i know i seen someone said you can put a 240 rear mtzzler tire on the back of a stock vulcan 2000 just wondered what the exact size was thanks
240 is the exact size.

240mm / 25 per/inch = 9.6inch width. 60 aspect ratio = 5.76 sidewall. 16" rim + double the sidewall = 27.52" total diameter x 3.14 = 86.4" circumference.

Metzler makes good tires for these beasty bikes; model ME880 size 240-16/60. pricey lil' buggers if you don't shop, retail $300ish. I have seen online they can be had for under $200 from some online tire suppliers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had the 200 and 240 Metz on the bike, and now I am using a Nitto 225 50 16 radial. Excellent ride and stable with proper inflation. Hope to get some longevity out of this tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had the 200 and 240 Metz on the bike, and now I am using a Nitto 225 50 16 radial. Excellent ride and stable with proper inflation. Hope to get some longevity out of this tire.[/QUOTe
What is the range for proper air pressure.
cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rear Tire biggst

Hey Ya'll, first time user here. Im within an est. 1,000 mi of needing a new back tire on my VN2000 purchased in Dec. 09. I only mention that cause of the excitement of being able to finally ride it for the first time during this past week.

My question is, What are the biggest risks of going "Darkside" on the rear tire?

Thanks!
Marty

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
if it ain't round, how can it go 'round?

My question is, What are the biggest risks of going "Darkside" on the rear tire? Marty
the biggist risk, eh? most likely being ostracized by those who consider themselves and thier bikes as "purest". yor likely to catch a lot of crap like this; "that tire wont work, its all wrong". then you ride away and cut some hard corners and they just wag their heads saying "its all wrong". its ok, they'r not exactly the company you want to keep.

·
Registered
319 Posts
tire

If anyone needs an extra tire for their V2K. I've got a All Season HTRZ II 225/ 60 /16 I'd sell for $90 shipped. It's the same tread pattern as the Goodyear Tripple tread

·
Registered
7 Posts
Darkside...

If anyone needs an extra tire for their V2K. I've got a All Season HTRZ II 225/ 60 /16 I'd sell for $90 shipped. It's the same tread pattern as the Goodyear Tripple tread
I might be interested in that tire if your coming to C.R. in the near future.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tire

realley a car tire lol bet that doesnt turn worth a crap id doit if i new how it cornered wouldnt u get squirly on the side wall how long does a 240 metzler last n does it last longer then a 200 thanks guys

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
grin and bear it

realley a car tire lol bet that doesnt turn worth a crap id doit if i new how it cornered wouldnt u get squirly on the side wall how long does a 240 metzler last n does it last longer then a 200 thanks guys
miseltow, like I said b4, you catch a lot of crap from those who don't know. sound like a familar tune? if you knew how it behaved, you wouldn't be making these statements. the tires don't ride on thier sidewalls. they do turn in more slowly than a mc tire, and want to stand the bike up. it requires a bit more effort to turn the bike in and hold it there at walking speeds. once you'r up and running it cuts corners just as hard and true as the mc tires. and no it does not ride on the side walls.

the reason folks go to these tires is mileage. if you ride any real distances, I ride 3 bikes 40k year, you go thru a lot of rear tires. they get real 'spensive when you are away from home. I am running a 90k mile michelin hydroedge on the redbear'n. 7k smiles sofar and it still looks brand new. tread depth is like 9/16 inch. I dont think this will ever wear out.?

the stock 200 tire lasted 13k, but it was sporting bear threads. but it's a bear!

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tire

ya i didnt know how it would turn just because it looks pretty square on bike when you look at it. i just bought this bike n love it but my rear tire is getting down their so il have to do some thinking lol.and i like you will put some miles on her if its not raing im rideing whoops i lied i ride in rain to not to much though.i guess the only differnce i can see with a 240 vrs car tire besides milage would be bike tire more rounded.the funny part is car tire last twice as long n halv the price lol.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tire

oh what size tire 225 50 16 or 225 60 16 ive got a passenger so dont need any tire rubbing thanks

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
big bear or lil bear paws?

oh what size tire 225 50 16 or 225 60 16 ive got a passenger so dont need any tire rubbing thanks
am running a 205/65-16. it is a snuggly fit as it just "bearly" clears the subfender, but clear is clear. no rubbing here. shine a light thru and you will see.
I did this tire b4 ordering that euro-gear set. the stock final gears are too low for me. the 65 series tire is 3" more circumference than the stock 60. but the new gears will really help settle that motor at speed.

I'd recommend the 50 series, if you squeeze in that 225. it will fit, no worry.

·
Registered
319 Posts
tire

Tire wise, a 50 series car tire is the closest you can get diameter wise to a 225 motorcycle tire. I have a 225/60/16 on now and have no problems. some do, some don't. I'm going to a 225/50/16 this year because my bike is lowered a tick over 2" 's and i need the clearence.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tire

so a 225 50 16 i would have no problem with a passenger im 6ft 280 she about 5ft10 150 just dont want it to rub with are fat butts on it lol just cruiseing oh n can bike shop balnace that tire or can like tires plus or you just put her on n hope for the best lol thanks guys

·
Registered
319 Posts
tire

mstowe, the best way to balance is to use dyna beads. I get lucky on my tire mounting. I kind of horse trade with a guy who runs a cycle shop and tire mounting is always free

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
no bike shop here (hole full of purest) would touch that car tire and the car tire shop doesn't have the equipment to do mc wheels. Sooo, I found a custom bike shop in town, Southern Metal Choppers, do it all the time for 20 bux. I no longer patronize the bike shops. They be wusses and don't earn my tire money. DynoBeads.. they be good.

Slim, yor pushin that bike ner her load limit. best set that spring under the seat fullup stiff, or get a heftyr one. under the rear fender are some side stiffeners with bolt heads that may catch that wide tire. I took them off... and another 100+lbs of excess crap while I was in the reducing mode. you'd be surprised (maybe not) at all the useless crap they bolt/pile on these machines.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wieght

ya i was very surprised i bought this 04 vulcan 2000 with 9000 miles for 5 grand looks like new anyways i have a bad back n cant belive how soft it rides n doesnt come close to bottomig out with me n wife on it thats why i was thinking bigger fatter tire would last longer n ride nicer

1 - 20 of 32 Posts