Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed new tires on the Custom.
My concern is, how can I be 100% sure that my alignment is correct, I would hate to put premature wear on my new tires, because of a faulty alignment job.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I go by the tracking of the belt itself. If it is centered in the pulley, I feel I am OK. Both alignment marks on the left and right side should be close to the same setting but hard to eye for final tweeking of a turn or two of the adjustment nut(s). I put mine up on a wood block to get the rear tire up off the ground. I do the adjustment, then run the bike in 1st gear to watch how the belt tracks. may take several trys but I feel good when it tracks in the center. I usually have to do the adjustment anytime the tire is changed. They always come back tracking to the left most of the time. A left turn on the right adjuster nut will cause the belt to move right. Once you are close, a very small rotation of the nuts are required for belt movement. Besure your belt tension is correct.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the best way
loosen both adjust bolts tighten the belt side to get proper belt tightness the (belt at this point will want to track to the inside) adjust the other side ever so slow untill the belt starts
to track back to left from the back of bike
i bought a laser tool it works but after adjusting the belt like above it was right on

my marks are about a 1/2 of mark off from each other so don't worry about them

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
+1 on Adjusting based on belt tracking. I have mine set the same as when it came from the factory (about a dimes thickness gap from the left side of the pulley). The alignment marks are very close but not exact. Tire looks to be wearing normally.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Rear wheel and pulley adj.

I am thinking there would be more wear on the belt and pulley than the tire if not properly aligned. This is easier to do with the stock pulley, but the OD pulley's I have seen are a bit wider than stock and take more care. This is what I encountered with my SW pulleys.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've replaced my rear tire twice now and I use nearly the same method as Byron. With the bike off the ground and level (on my bike jack) I snug the belt up with the left adjuster; match the alignment marks left-right; check and adjust the belt tension as needed; re-align marks; start the engine and let it idle in 1st; adjust the right adjuster until the belt tracks about 2mm from the left wall of the pulley (not everyone is comfortable with running the bike in the air. If you have any concerns, don't do it, just spin the wheel). I haven't seen any wear problems on the tires after adjusting. When I replaced the last one, the tire wear looked dead even after 14k miles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
How do you guys balance the wheels once you get the new rubber on the rim?

I hate to spend almost $100 to get a new $120 tire mounted. It is perverse, in a way...

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
How do you guys balance the wheels once you get the new rubber on the rim?

I hate to spend almost $100 to get a new $120 tire mounted. It is perverse, in a way...
You can pick up a motorcycle wheel balancer pretty cheaply at Harbor Freight.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Since I have tubes, I went with Ride On Tire systems. Works really well.
That's what I hear. Dyna Beads can also be inserted in tubes.
One note here, some tire manufacturers will void the warranty on their tires if you use a liquid balancing product. You must read their warranty before putting in something like Ride On Tire.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
That's what I hear. Dyna Beads can also be inserted in tubes.
One note here, some tire manufacturers will void the warranty on their tires if you use a liquid balancing product. You must read their warranty before putting in something like Ride On Tire.
I like having the puncture protection as well as the balancing. Not sure how having a tube with a sealing liquid would affect a warranty. My local shop was not worried about adding it when they replaced the tire and installed the Ride On product. I like the feel of the smoother front end.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I like having the puncture protection as well as the balancing. Not sure how having a tube with a sealing liquid would affect a warranty. My local shop was not worried about adding it when they replaced the tire and installed the Ride On product. I like the feel of the smoother front end.
Understood, since the tube is a barrier between the liquid and the tire. Still, it wouldn't hurt to read your warranty, if it's still in effect, to see if there's a mention.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I just got new tires and found a place after shopping around that charged $75 to mount them. They did a great job!

There are some things I can do while others I leave to the pro's so I can ride and have peace of mind.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dyna Beads can also be inserted in tube.
I just learned about Dyna Beads a couple of years ago; now I have them in both bikes (tube tires on both) and as of now, I think they're the only way to go. They seem smoother than conventional balancing, and look better than the clamped spoke weights.

For what it's worth: The cast wheels on my wife's car have thrown weights, which I don't even want to imagine on a morotcycle, but I think the shop mishandled the job (they need to clean the wheel for the adhesive to adhere).

Ride safe,
Grandpa

·
Registered
941 Posts
I should try them out in my car. Then when I switch between winter and summer tires I wouldn't have to worry about balancing issues like I have had problems with them sticky weights. But since I have the TPMS getting them in and out would be a pain.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I should try them out in my car. Then when I switch between winter and summer tires I wouldn't have to worry about balancing issues like I have had problems with them sticky weights. But since I have the TPMS getting them in and out would be a pain.
Pickup, SUV's, quads and motorcycles, YES. Car tires NO. The tire is too wide in most cases and the beads will not distribute as they should. Go here www.innovativebalancing.com/ and see if your tire size is listed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts