Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the factory setting (1,2,3,4)?

I ride 2 up ocasionally and I think the rear suspension is too soft I have not changed due to having to disassemble some parts on the bike. my weight is 220lbs and my wife is 120lbs. I would like to find a setting i don't have to change back and forth. I like the ride 1 up the way the bike came It could go a little stiffer. But as you know the roads here in PA suck I don't want to got too stiff. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
231 Posts
From the manual: (Copyright "Fair Usage" applies, for you sea lawyers out there!)

The standard adjusting sleeve for an average-build of 68
kg (150 lb) with no passenger and no accessories is 4th
step from the weakest position.

There are seven positions, with "7" being the stiffest. To be honest, I've kept mine at the current (stock?) setting, whatever that is---I haven't looked. Since I haven't bottomed out my rear shock, even when riding 2-up, and I don't hammer on nails that do not stick up, I really haven't thought about it much. Americans tend to be a bit bulkier than 150 pounds (I tip the scales at a buck eighty) so it's possible---though not likely, that your dealer might have set the shock a little stiffer when they PDI'd your bike.

I'd keep the giveacrap switch in the "Don't" position unless you're bottoming out your shock a bunch. If you lie awake at night wondering about such things, or you really know your way around a buffet table, or your keester is reeeeeally sensitive to whatever you consider that "perfect" ride to be, you're going to have to drag out the OEM tool kit, remove the coolant reservoir, and look (and adjust) for yourself. The adjustment looks pretty straightforward in the manual. You'll want to be careful to keep your coolant reservoir from flopping around if you tinker with the rear shock, but that's obvious.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Info!! I do like it just the way it is when it is just me. Just wanted some opinions on what others are doing.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Smokin, I adjusted mine to 6....It only takes 5 minutes (read half hour). I weigh 220 and the wife weighs (looks around, phew, she's at work) a little less than that. We don't bottom out and the 6 setting seems smooth. The chintzy tool kit that came with the bike is a must....otherwise use a good set of channel locks to rotate the ring. It's a bit of a knuckle-buster if memory serves.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm with silenthill, although I've got him by a few pounds (read 40), and the wife... well, the two of us slightly exceed the 400 lb recommended max. ;) We rode a few trips on the factory setting of 4 without bottoming out, but the ride wasn't as smooth with her riding 2-up with me. I tinkered around (10-15 minutes and one bruised knuckle) to set the shock on 6, and she enjoys the ride much more, although it's a bit stiff for 1-up. It's not bad enough to make me want to change it regularly though, so it's been on 6 for a year now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My bike didn't come with a manual. I think my shock is set in 3 it's in the 3rd notch. Can someone give me some instructions on how to adjust it. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
My bike didn't come with a manual. I think my shock is set in 3 it's in the 3rd notch. Can someone give me some instructions on how to adjust it. Thanks
You can access the owner's manual on the kawasaki website. Click on "purchase manuals" on the left side. As you proceed through you'll see the option to download the manual (at least I did for the 900 custom). By the way, it's very easy to do, and my mechanical skills are practically nonexistent. I weigh about 320 and set mine at 6 (for solo riding). I never bottomed out at the factory setting (4), but the new setting is much more comfortable. The ride is a bit higher, but I got used to that in no time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts