Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone tuned their rear shock yet?

I've left mine set from factory (#2 setting) since new for the last 3 months and started think if mine needs to be set to my weight.

I'm about 90kg with all my riding gear. What settings vs weight are other people rolling?

I've also found it really difficult to check the static sag as the engine is so far fwd, when I try to jack from the underneath it starts lifting the front instead of the rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So has anyone tuned their rear shock yet?

I've left mine set from factory (#2 setting) since new for the last 3 months and started think if mine needs to be set to my weight.

I'm about 90kg with all my riding gear. What settings vs weight are other people rolling?

I've also found it really difficult to check the static sag as the engine is so far fwd, when I try to jack from the underneath it starts lifting the front instead of the rear.
I've kinda played around with it a bit. I put it to the 1st setting to see how it was. Noticed a much more smoother rider but didn't go as fast. Now I currently put it on the 3rd setting and so far its somewhat good for me. Its soft enough on bumps but yet it picks up when I need to speed up. Idk if this will help or not.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am 5'7" and 133. I just reset the suspension to 4 (from the factory setting of 2). It's much better now...I was bottoming it out at 2. Pretty jarring on the back!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am 5'7" and 133. I just reset the suspension to 4 (from the factory setting of 2). It's much better now...I was bottoming it out at 2. Pretty jarring on the back!
I'm 5'10" and 170lbs. On 2 I was feeling every bump so I put it on 1 to smooth the ride. Ride is smoother but now I am wondering if I am bottoming out on bigger bumps. It is jarring on my back but I have never felt it bang hard on a bottoming out sort of way.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did a bit of research and played around with the pre-load.

I found that the ideal static sag is 30mm (height change from with to without rider).

Under my weight setting 3 is spot on.

It makes sense because all the higher settings would suit having a passenger on the back aswell.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So I did a bit of research and played around with the pre-load.

I found that the ideal static sag is 30mm (height change from with to without rider).

Under my weight setting 3 is spot on.

It makes sense because all the higher settings would suit having a passenger on the back aswell.
Where did you measure the 30 mm. At the taillight or under chassis would produce different results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have done a little research on this lately and there is a ton of info on how to set rider sag. what was your measurement fully unloaded. where did you measure?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I wasn't able to measure zero load as it was extremely difficult to lift the chassis only and let the swing arm free.

I just worked on static sag. ie bike + rider minus bike self weight.

I measured in line with rear axle to my saddle bags. Set a magnet on a 600mm steel rule aginst the bottom of bag to get free height. Sat on bike holding rule in place and bag pushed the magnet down to loaded height.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey folks, so you lightwieght guys are actually adding preload and it helps?
i did the opposit, i went to lowest ride height setting, assuming that would be softest, no preload.

im 5'6 130 lbs, and its stiff in the back, i want to take the spring off, have it measured spring rate wise and get a softer spring, i think its doable.

spring ID, and length, then spring rate.

any thoughts???

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to add preload because Im on the heavy side of 198 lbs. New softer spring for yourself is an excellent idea but first chech the sag. Its the best way of finding out if the softer spring is needed or not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i REALLY do need to change the rear springs soon, it is too stiff for my featherweight.

rode this weekend and hit a few bumps, almost catapulted me off, lol, was hard on my ass too,

at 135 lbs, bike barely suspends

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just make sure you check with an honest bike mechanic willing to offer real advice and not just take dollars for extra work.
Cruisers offer little in the way of forgiveness compared to other bike configurations.
Your butt is going to concentrate all your body weight into the seat where as sports style bikes spread your weight from your knees all the way up to your butt as you cling to the tank.
Even with the correct setting, if you dont stand up on the pegs on a hefty bump your ass is gonna cop a thumpin!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I had to add preload because Im on the heavy side of 198 lbs. New softer spring for yourself is an excellent idea but first chech the sag. Its the best way of finding out if the softer spring is needed or not.
Where did you end up Setting your Suspension?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Where did you end up Setting your Suspension?
Resurrecting a 2 1/2 year old thread. :wink2: For me I am still on the factory 2 setting. 265 lbs and 6'1". Once the weather improves I will try different settings to see if they make a difference. The rear suspension is one of the weak points of the Vulcan S. 3 inches of travel on a mono shock is way too weak for anyone regardless of weight. But it is an economy bike so it is what it is.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Haha yea very curious to find a more comfortable spot to ride this year I left mine on the factory setting last year and was curious too see others around the 200 lb mark where they have there’s set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Haha yea very curious to find a more comfortable spot to ride this year I left mine on the factory setting last year and was curious too see others around the 200 lb mark where they have there’s set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't blame you. I am trying to find a sweet spot as well. The softer factory setting is usually okay to soak up some bumps in the road but will be bouncier for a heavier rider. The stiffer preload settings will give you less bounce but also a much firmer ride so you will feel the road a lot more. Like every single bump. So it just depends on your preferences. I am going to try number 3 setting as soon as the snow stops and the thunderstorms and tornodos and the 8 inches of rain. I swear this earth is coming to an end and I need to build an Ark. :wink2:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I’m 6’, 155 lbs and use the factory setting of 2. It seems to be decent enough for me. Last year, I tried setting 3, out of curiosity for a couple of weeks and I found it to be jarring, stiffer (obviously) and threw me up off the seat more on large bumps. So, I set it back to 2. I’m going to try 1 this year for a few rides and see how it goes. I’d say at the uppermost rate I’d be like a popcorn kernel on a hot plate over every bump. Lol!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts