Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

This should be a basic question for those long time Vulcan's owners. I find the rear suspension to be a little rough on my back when hitting a road bump that I di not expect. My back is getting a little fragile over years...

I noticed that rear chocks are ajustable (No. 1 to 4) and pressurised. Question:
Should releasing the air pressure and adjust to No.4 be the best setting for me (220 lbs)?

Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Less air would soften the initial jolt or overall ride (compression) and lower numbers would mean less sharp return (rebound) of the shock after you hit a bump. I would start at maybe 10lbs air pressure and #2. See how that feels and go for a few good bumps (without sharp edges) and see if it bottoms out. If it does, go up a few lbs and try again. Keep going till you don't bottom out. Then experiment with rebound one click at a time. I did mine air first and then rebound so as not to confuse things. If you can't stop bottoming out, buy new shocks. By the way, DON'T USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR TO ADD AIR! You may blow out the shocks. Go on eBay and get a no-loss hand pump with a gauge. I think I paid about $25-$30 for mine. I can add tiny bits of air at a time, which is what you want. A compressor blows too much too fast. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Less air would soften the initial jolt or overall ride (compression) and lower numbers would mean less sharp return (rebound) of the shock after you hit a bump. I would start at maybe 10lbs air pressure and #2. See how that feels and go for a few good bumps (without sharp edges) and see if it bottoms out. If it does, go up a few lbs and try again. Keep going till you don't bottom out. Then experiment with rebound one click at a time. I did mine air first and then rebound so as not to confuse things. If you can't stop , buy new shocks. By the way, DON'T USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR TO ADD AIR! You may blow out the shocks. Go on eBay and get a no-loss hand pump with a gauge. I think I paid about $25-$30 for mine. I can add tiny bits of air at a time, which is what you want. A compressor blows too much too fast. That's my 2 cents.
Run 20lb set at 3 190 here,like tortuga said little adjustment at a time find your sweet spot,DO not use a compressor:laugh2:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm 240, I ended up getting a set of Progressives for the back, best investment ever, changed even my SO comfort level, I was constantly bottoming out when riding 2 up, now it like a Cadillac.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts