Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I might find some good data here. I have finally worn out my rear sprocket and am looking for a good steel custom sprocket. I had an aluminum that failed in 6 months. I replaced with Sidewinder from Krause racing with a lifetime warranty. Guess what, 9 years later, Sidewinder is no where to be found. Can you recommend a quality sprocket maker that machines customs?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Welcome garyrapp.

It would help if we know what bike you have. If you have a Vulcan 500LTD from ‘96-‘09 then I suggest a rear sprocket from JT Sprockets. They are steel and wear very well. Part number JTR1490.42

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
bikerbill,
Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki EN500
Displacement/CC's: 500

Would the JTR1490.37 fit? I see they both have a 520 chain so I'm thinking yes.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
bikerbill,
Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki EN500
Displacement/CC's: 500

Would the JTR1490.37 fit? I see they both have a 520 chain so I'm thinking yes.

The 37T sprocket should fit but you may have to adjust the chain length.

Why reduce the number of teeth so drastically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It lowers the RPM's to a more comfortable level on the highway. It also improved gas mileage. After 9 years I finally wore out my Sidewinder 36 tooth.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
It lowers the RPM's to a more comfortable level on the highway. It also improved gas mileage. After 9 years I finally wore out my Sidewinder 36 tooth.

Okay. I have run 17/40 but found it too tall for my riding style. Full disclosure: I have not used any sprockets smaller that the 40T but I don’t see why their 37T wouldn’t work for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts