Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the model # or size of the rear turn signal bulb for VN 800A? One of my rear signals isn't working and figure its the bulb but can't find a number on the one I pulled or one like it at the auto part store. The service manual wasn't all that clear.

**I found one on ebay I hope will work. It is 12V 23/8 W

·
Registered
101 Posts
In my repair manual the bulb is listed as 12V 21W. The 12V 23/8W is for the front turn signals.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the rear turn signal bulb housing only have 1 contact prong, meaning if you put in a 23w/8w bulb (which has 2 contact prongs), it will not work

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
video youtube on 1156 and 1157 difference

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must have modded tail lights then because its definitely not the 1157 or 1156. The ones I ordered should be here in a few days so hopefully they will work.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I must have modded tail lights then because its definitely not the 1157 or 1156. The ones I ordered should be here in a few days so hopefully they will work.
1156 is the size the dealer said is right for the rear of my 05 800B, yours should be the same if stock. You have pic of the light housing? How about the bulb?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wait a minute... Im confused.

So the rear turn signals on the Vulcan 800s don't act as running lights, but the front turn signals do? That seems really weird to me. The whole point of using a duel filament bulb is so that the lights will run constantly at a certain level of brightness, but then be able to run at a higher intensity when a switch is activated. Why would they intentionally install running lights on the front and not the rear? Are you sure you guys aren't getting the front and rear signals mixed up.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Nope all cycle have the front turn signals on all the time and the rear on only to signal a turn.
I believe its a law that you cant have amber lights on the rear of vehicles.

But you can mod the rear turn signals to be red always on running lights.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
As far as I know, all VN800A factory configurations have simple ordinary back turn signals and they have nothing to do with running lights. They are getting activated by turn signal handlebar switch.
Default bulbs are single contact BA15S (or 1156, as You wish).
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I just learned something new. You are right. Funny thing, I was 100% certain that the front turn signals on my EN500 are single filament bulbs. So I thought you were wrong. Checked the service manual and sure enough, the front bulbs according to the manual should be duel filament turn signal/running lights. But Im POSITIVE my front signals are single filament and don't run all the time. In fact, I just changed one of them not even a week ago. I also had duel filament bulbs on rear turn signals. They should have been single filament.

So basically, according to the service manual, my bike was wired ass backwards when it was stock.

Ive switched all of the rear lights out on my bike for an all in one LED strip so it isn't really an issue now, but still weird.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nope all cycle have the front turn signals on all the time and the rear on only to signal a turn.
I believe its a law that you cant have amber lights on the rear of vehicles.
Thanks God, I'm in Europe :D In Latvia we have only single filament turn signal bulbs on bikes :cyclops: Turn signals are simple turn signals. Nothing else is allowed, concerning them. And I think it's much safer and unmistakable by other (car) drivers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts