Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2009 2K. Nothing wrong with the rear shock. It just sucks. What are the shocks people here using? Ohlins? progressive? Model numbers would be great. Any input welcome. Thanks. PS she is a big girl!

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
I believe the most common upgrade is to the Progressive 465, under $400 through Phatperformance.com I have also read good things about Ohlins, a bit more expensive and from what I understand a little bit of work to dial it in. Air ride is another option. Most air ride companies stopped making it for the VN2000, but Phatperformance.com still carries an AirFX option.
I had been saving up for the Progressive when I came upon a used air ride shock. Had to figure out the rest of the kit, but am very pleased with the adjustability and the look when lowered. Here is a write up on my suspension if you decide to go that route...
https://sites.google.com/site/rodsv2kdrifter/hi-lo-air-ride

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Air shocks

I believe the most common upgrade is to the Progressive 465, under $400 through Phatperformance.com I have also read good things about Ohlins, a bit more expensive and from what I understand a little bit of work to dial it in. Air ride is another option. Most air ride companies stopped making it for the VN2000, but Phatperformance.com still carries an AirFX option.
I had been saving up for the Progressive when I came upon a used air ride shock. Had to figure out the rest of the kit, but am very pleased with the adjustability and the look when lowered. Here is a write up on my suspension if you decide to go that route...
https://sites.google.com/site/rodsv2kdrifter/hi-lo-air-ride

Air looks cool. She is most concerned with the comfort and a better ride. The bumps can take out a molar or make you fly. Hows the ride on the air. A ride that goes low always gives up some form of functionality for the better look or footing for short legs. There is always a balance. But you loose a bit of the stroke. Ya I know. That's what she said! :)

·
537 Posts
Only thing I have to compare it to is stock. HUGE improvement. I tend to ride aired up 1/2-3/4 of the way, depending on road conditions and only drop it all the way to park or slow rides for looks. It's nice to have that option.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run the Progressive 465

If you look at the picture, right above the pipes, you can see the adjuster mounted.

Is it worth the difference in price? For the guy/s that can adjust on the fly how often do you really change the settings? Thanks

·
537 Posts
I change the air based on the road I'm on. On long rides, it's constant between interstates, back roads, dirt and gravel.
Also makes a difference weather two up or solo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts