Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I had my 1500 Classic in the air today checking bearings and torques and such. I wanted to make sure both shocks were at atmospheric pressure, so I pulled the caps and pushed in the valves. Both valves leaked out several drops of oil. Is this normal for these shocks? I tried googling it and basically got results for Harleys with air hoses, I assume for linking the two together to equalize pressure. But I want to know if it's normal for MY shocks! :)

Also, I remember seeing somewhere that if your shock mounts are no longer centered (worn bushings) it can cause handling problems. Mine all look fine except for one. The left upper mount is slightly off center. I removed the nut to look at the bushing and it is sorta crushed/saggy in its hole, but not by much. Will this cause any handling issues?

·
Registered
36 Posts
No idea on the oil coming out. There is some lubrication in there I am sure. I weight 180 pounds and have fiberglass saddlebags. I currently have my rear shocks on setting four and have the rear shocks at 35 psi for overnight trips loaded up. And I still hit really hard on large bumps. I think max pressure in the manual is 43 psi? That is interesting on the shock bushings. I will have to look at mine. I would replace the two upper bushings at the very least.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, there is oil in your shocks. Lift the rear of the bike off the floor/ground and it won't come out the valve.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, there is oil in your shocks. Lift the rear of the bike off the floor/ground and it won't come out the valve.
I DID! Hence I started with "I had my 1500 Classic in the air today checking..."! :)

Both leaked about six to 10 drops of oil with the rear tire in the air.

But based on what you're saying, it shouldn't come out. I could certainly understand if there was some amount of air in the shocks (10+ psi for instance) and/or I'd just come back from a bumpy ride!?!

But there was no air in them in Feb. when I bought the bike and it had been sitting overnight before doing this. I could also understand a trace of oil, but six to ten drops seems like a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts