Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is not a suspension specific section to the forum and search did not pull up anything specific for what I was looking for:

Does anyone know the spring rate for the rear spring on or '9? I know for a fact that (and it also states it in the manual) all Japanese manufactured motorcycles come setup for a person weighing approximately 150 pounds. Since I have been a racer for years and my wife and I ride together sometimes it is important for me to have the suspension setup for my/ our weights. (We are older and weigh more than the average spring chicken... LMAO)

Has anyone fit springs from other models or purchased from retailer (Race Tech for instance)?

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Don't know the spring rate of the OEM shock. I decided to go with a Progressive Suspension. A better all around ride (solo or 2-up). My wife notice the difference and likes the new suspension.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply bosco. I will look into a new spring from Race Tech (since they are located 30 minutes from my house). I had a road racing sponsorship with them for a couple years and they custom make pretty much anything you ask them. Ill see if they can shed any light on the spring rate and any option they might suggest.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Thanks for the reply bosco. I will look into a new spring from Race Tech (since they are located 30 minutes from my house). I had a road racing sponsorship with them for a couple years and they custom make pretty much anything you ask them. Ill see if they can shed any light on the spring rate and any option they might suggest.
Heck you are only 30 minutes from me. Progressive is in Orange County off La Palma. Either way were close to suspension parts. Let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The 900 ships from the factory in the 3rd notch on the suspension (I think). That's supposedly set up for a 120-150lb load. The bike is designed to carry up to 397lbs (very specific, I know haha). It has always been my understanding that upping the preload on the suspension to the top notch (no. 7) is for the heaviest of loads (or probably about 350-397lbs total load).

You might try upping the preload first to see if it makes a better ride for you. I'd throw it right up to notch 6 or 7 based on your weights (for two up riding). If it doesn't work for you - let us know how the aftermarket works out. If it makes the bike a dramatically more fun ride I might consider doing it with mine as well (I'm in the 300lb load range just by my lonesome). :)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Since you are so close to the Race Tech shop, I would ride there and bring the wife. Let them do a static sag and then rider, then a rider + wife sag check. Then they have something to work with. Maybe all you need is additional preload and you're good to go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. If my wife and I were 100 pounds we wouldn't worry about adjustments... damn good cooking and age and laziness slowly creeping higher and metabolism and motivation slowly creeping lower. HAHA

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for all the input. If my wife and I were 100 pounds we wouldn't worry about adjustments... damn good cooking and age and laziness slowly creeping higher and metabolism and motivation slowly creeping lower. HAHA
I've had really good response from the Race Tech representative in New Zealand regarding my VTX as well as my Vulcan. I'm sure your guy can work with you and find that sweet spot so your not bottoming out and can still manage the bumps without the ride being too stiff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts