Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am needing to swap out the rear shock on my '08 V2k, and listening to the dealer the rear tire has to be removed to do this. I ordered a service manual and I don't see this to be the case. Anyone have any experience with this? I am also needing to do brake pads at the same time, so the same question, does the rear tire have to be removed to replace rear pads?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Sug, nup they got it wrong. Wheel stays in place. Remove seats, side covers and a black plastic cover inner cover. Level the bike up on a jack (or other) to unload the shock. Undo the two shock end bolts and whip out that factory failure. End to end usually takes an hour if I'm mucking around.

Brakes pads, again they got it wrong. Simply undo the the caliper retainer bolts, slid out, do ya pad change and reinstall, fairly easy.

Cheers, Ando

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I could see them MAYBE being confused about how to do the shock. MAYBE.. since not every bike is the same.

but the brake pads?? Kind of universal....

I don't think I would go back to that dealer. They are either clueless or they are lying. Either one is bad...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Definitely, at least on a 2008 Classic LT, it's not necessary to remove the rear wheel.

RuaphuNZ pretty much has it. I replace my factory shock with a Progressive 465 RAP and did not remove the rear wheel. With the rear of the bike raised there will still be tension on the shock bolts though. I put a piece of wood crosswise behind the rear tire then one across it like a lever/see saw under the rear tire to lift it slightly to pull out the bolts once loose.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Btw, if a RUB like me can do it.. anybody can.

Has it REALLY only been THREE years since I was asking how to even change the oil???

Yea.. almost exactly three years ago...

Just yesterday, I had back wheel and front pulley totally off.. if somebody can go from asking how to even unscrew a oil filter.. to being comfortable stripping down the bike..yea, anybody can do it.

For a good laugh, read my thread on changing the oil.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Btw, if a RUB like me can do it.. anybody can.

Has it REALLY only been THREE years since I was asking how to even change the oil???

Yea.. almost exactly three years ago...

Just yesterday, I had back wheel and front pulley totally off.. if somebody can go from asking how to even unscrew a oil filter.. to being comfortable stripping down the bike..yea, anybody can do it.

For a good laugh, read my thread on changing the oil.

yep the oil change thread is a darn tootin good read.

Crikey that second pic the chrome looks all purple Smed.

Shoot we could well have the man version of the black/white vs gold/blue dress syndrome as bandied all over the interweb, news and twaating sites some weeks back ;) haha

btw. I know, I know, before someone asks, "how the feck does a bloke know about or get involved with dress colours!".......................I work with a large gaggle of gals......nuff said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts