Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 7 possible positions for adjusting the rear shock on the 2008 VN900. The manual says the position # 4 is appropriate for a rider weighing 150 lbs., without luggage or passenger. What's the most comfortable/appropriate setting for a rider weighing 195 lbs. without luggage or passenger?

Bob Murray

·
Registered
122 Posts
i would prob think 5 cause the max weight for the bike is around 400lbs and that would be setting 7 ... but i really have no idea just my 2 cents ..... also wha is the max weigt you guys have run on these bikes i knoe the book says 400 but can you coftorbly take a trip with more ??

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Heh... I'm 250, and I'm still running on the stock setting. I should probably adjust a bit, eh? Anyone with quick tips, as I haven't even looked at this yet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I weigh a little over 195, and will probably adjust the shock if I ever have a problem with bottoming out. Haven't yet..

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I weigh in at 230 and I just adjusted the shock to 6...going up two notches was a bit too much and I'm going to drop it down to 5. Ride was very rough; however, I think it would be more than appropriate at 6 riding two-up.

The process was really easy, just follow what it says in the owner's manual, took me about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am 250+/-. I have it #7 right now. It is a little stiff with just me, put pretty close with 2 up. I had it in #5, but that cost me a Grease fitting on a speed bump riding 2 up. I may move it back to #6.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Take off the seat, take off the left side cover (one bolt on top). Take off the coolant tank cover (one bolt, allen head). Take off the coolant tank (couple of bolts, don't let it spill).

The shock will now be visible. Use the tool in supplied tool kit (with the extender) to catch a notch and move the collar on the shock either up or down to your desired setting.

Reverse steps to put it all back together. Note that the tank cover and left side cover have posts that fit into rubber grommets on the bike; make sure to get them lined up and pushed in before re-installing any bolts.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Ditto! Although, in ignorance, I've ridden on the stock setting 4 (at 250lbs) and 2-up with the wife, I've not come across an instance of bottoming out, but after a short test ride solo, I think the stiffer/quicker response is gonna be MUCH nicer! Not too much of a hassle at all to change it either... Looking at the adjustment, though. Can a guy adjust *past* 7 right into 1 again? or do you have to adjust backwards?

(I'm sure the MOM tells me how, but it's kind of... misfiled, lol)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'M 175 pounds, I tried positions 3,4,5,+6. I dropped down to 3 and like that the best. Its a softer ride but it's great for me. I move it up to 5 when my wife goes along

1 - 14 of 14 Posts