Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 03 V500 & upgraded to a 08 V900 classic 3 weeks ago. I just love my new bike! I had new floorboards & front & rear shifters put on last week. A few times last week the rear shifter got stuck, but it was no big deal. Yesterday it was terrible. It kept getting stuck in neutral & I was barely able to get it into 2nd & 3rd gear & I had to turn around & come home. It looks like the rear shifter barely clears the floorboards so we took it apart & adjusted it just a hair, but it still will not slip into 2nd gear and I don't think thats the primary problem. Its almost like it not catching gears. My neighbor is a mechanic & just starting his own business & seems to think that there might be something wrong with the transmission, but can't tell without tearing the whole thing apart. The bike only has 4600 miles on it. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Linda

·
Registered
224 Posts
How did the bike operate before you had the toe-heal shifter installed? I thought all the 900 classics already came with floorboards and toe-heal shifters.Anyways,if it shifted fine before the install,I'd take it back to whoever installed the floorboards/shifter and let them deal with it. I have once before where I didn't downshift to first quick enough before coming to a stop,tried to do it after stopping and I had trouble getting out of 4th,but not a problem since since I always make sure to get to first before coming to a complete stop.I've never had the problem your experiencing and mines an '06 classic.Good luck with it,wouldn't think it's a tranni problem with as little miles it has. Mine's got over 40,000 and hasn't had an issue with the tranni yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by rear shifter...the shifter on the 900 Classic is one piece. It has a toe portion and a heel portion but they are both part of one shifter. Anyway, you might want to look at a 900 Classic Service Manual. Section 9-24 explains the removal of the "Shift Pedal Clamp Bolt" and then the "Shift Pedal Installation". Additionally you will want to look at section 9-26 which explains the re-assembly process for the "front shift lever", "rear shift lever", the set-up (i.e., specification - correct positioning of the locknuts) of the front and rear "Shift Rod Locknuts", and finally the check-out of the position of the "rear shift pedal". This might not be your problem but it's worth a check. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts