Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few people mention that an after market rear pulley is a great performance upgrade. What are the pros/cons (riding solo and 2-up) of this upgrade and where can I find it? I don't know exactly what I am looking for, but couldn't find the item on cruisercustomizing.com.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Scootworks makes one. http://tinyurl.com/ycx7ugz
I am not sure about pro's and con's
You should get better gas mileage, and lower rpm's. But I think you would lose some power having to turn a bigger diameter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They carry both a front and rear pulley. I think each changes your overall gear ratio about 5% each or 10% for both(more mph per rpm). Have not done the change but from what I read the front is a bit easier to change. The rear change out requires removal of rear wheel. I made a similar change to my wifes Yamaha Vstar chain drive. I have seen some posts that the change moves your tire a bit closer forward but I doubt one pulley change would be enough to notice. Belt tension will of course need to be readjusted after change. I think it partially fixes the speedometer error. My 2009 900LT speedo is about 6-7% off so been looking at doing just the front.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey There, From what I have read the pulley change is not about performance as much as it is about making the bike more friendly at highway speeds. The larger front and rear pulley's will reduce RPM's in top gear, with the torque of the V-Twin design I do not believe that you will feel much difference in the lower gears. But the 5th gear will no longer make you wish you had a 6th gear to shift to. Unless your riding at 9/10th you won't notice a thing around town but on the highway it will be much nicer and your mileage will go up. My two cents for what it's worth.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good upgrade once I start riding longer distances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts