Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm busy changing the rear tire on my VN800A and when I removed the wheel and looked inside the brake-side hub, I saw this:

See the outside of the center section, where the metal is jagged and sticking out? That's not right, correct?

Is it normal wear? Should I carefully remove the shards and use some emory cloth on the surface to smooth it out a bit?

·
Registered
234 Posts
This part is called a "speedometer receiver". It's for turning a speedometer cable. It looks like somebody could not fit it in the right position after taking the hub apart.
You should inspect the other side of the hub. Is it OK?
Just clean the receiver, grind it gently with some sandpaper to remove those sharp damaged edges and put it in its place correctly. If the opposite side is OK, looks like it will be OK.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other side looks okay, but there's a rubber seal there, so it's hard to get a good look at the receiver end. I'll clean things us and make sure it's okay before reassembly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Agree.
i have a wheel here on my work bench. gettin a new tire on IT because the wheel on my bike is egg shapped.

that slotted piece engages in the speedometer housing, to a corresponding dog. question is why you have metal shavings, so you need to look for that answer.
look inside the housing that holds the back brakes and speedometer gear and cable.
new grease will work wonders. rubber seal in there keeps water out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for the help.
I got everything reassembled the other night and all is well.
I cleaned up the hub end of the speedo gear and then cleaned and re-lubed it.
My ride to work this morning was pleasant and uneventful. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts