Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife's 900LT got rear-ended yesterday. The frame that supports the fender, license and turn signals was pressed up against the tire. No other damage. We pried the frame back until it could be ridden and then had the frame cut to further bend it away.

The Progressive is talking "total". Is this frame welded or bolt fastened to the primary frame?

This is an '08 with ~20k miles
Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Should be bolt on to the underside of the fender, the bolts thru the fender supports should then bolt to the frame holding the fender. At least this is how my 08 custom is made.

M

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks "M". I pulled the seat first to see if I could learn anything. There is a piece welded to the primary frame that runs under the fender. Any bolts are out of sight.

I'll tel "Flo" when she comes to tow it away and make sure I either get it fixed or a fair settlement. I've spent much of the day removing all those options we've installed over the past 3 years.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Remove the backrest and chrome side covers on the fender. You will see 4 socket head bolts, that's what holds the fender support. You can find them on eBay and fenders too, if you are going to do the work yourself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it IS totalled, buy it back and "bob" it.

Or better yet, buy it back and sell it to me and I'll "bob" it.
I actually thought about that as I was looking it over. It's wife's bike and she wouldn't trade for my Custom.

She told me tonight after returning from an exam at the local hospital she's thinking about a smaller Sport Tourer, like a VFR. The 900LT is her 4th bike since she began riding (1st one with damage). She changes bikes like I change my drawers.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I actually thought about that as I was looking it over. It's wife's bike and she wouldn't trade for my Custom.

She told me tonight after returning from an exam at the local hospital she's thinking about a smaller Sport Tourer, like a VFR. The 900LT is her 4th bike since she began riding (1st one with damage). She changes bikes like I change my drawers.
My brother has bought back several bikes he and his wife totaled (for pennies on the dollar) and literally racked up hundreds of thousand miles on them. I would guess, if they total the bike, they'd sell it back to you for around $500-1000 (from the description of the damage). Most bobbers cut off all the stuff that you are talking about that is damaged anyway. I'm looking for a bobber/chopper project and would LOVE to come across an insurance "buy back" bike like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts