Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about cutting off the support braces that hold the rear fender and relocating them to the swing arm. I would then modify and remount the rear fender. I would like to know if this has been done before. Curious if there are any problems that I have not thought of.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I got my bike it had only one rear strut brace. I made up some stays from the swingarm to the fender and then made up some new brackets to remount the fender onto the swingarm under the seat. I did it to give the effect that the rear had been lowered but still give me stock suspension travel. I was alos going for that old Indian style of look.

I can try to get some more in depth one if you like. The fender moves with the swing arm now and the seat was modified to mount on the old fender brace mounts

Cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would like a complete HOW TOO with pics on this. I have been planning on doing this but had no idea how I would achieve it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice looking work. I am looking to use the factory fender brackets for my vn900 custom, no struts. Something like this.

Obviously I would not have the brackets bolted on under the shock mounts, I want to attach them to the swing arm, but that is the look that I am going for.

I won't be doing roundbar OCC style but this shows how I want to mount the fender. Imagine the sides are our factory fender support brackets.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guess you need to work out what fender you are using and how to mount to it, then stick on the wheel with the correct spacing between the tyre , then what I do is sit there for about 3 hours pondering how I can attach it to the swingarm. Either way I think a welder will be involved. If not to weld the mounts a bracket to bolt the mounts to?

·
Registered
35 Posts
NEWDAWG, if you remove your sidecovers and tool box this will give you access to the inner part of the swingarm. I removed the top two bolts that hold the inner plastic guard in place. I made up some straps from 1" flat bar about 1/8" thick, they are about 3-4" long. I used the arc of the swingarm to put a slight bend in them. On the front of the guard there are two bolts the same size which normally attaches the fender to the plastic battery box thing under the seat. Use the top of the straps and bolt them to these. This secures the fender to the swing arm and removes it from the main part of the frame. There is a small gap where water can get through now but I just used a small rubber flap to seal the gap.

With regards to the rear bracing you can do whatever you like. I just wanted a simple brace that did not distract from the back end of the bike. Just be aware of the wiring loom for the rear lights. it gets a bit close to the tyre an you just need to make sure you keep it clear.

The seat I have is the factory seat and I cut off the rear pillion section. I used the same flat bar to make up some small brackets from the old fender mount holes, Once the seat cover was off I removed the cushion and bolted the bracket through the side of the seat. It now mounts the same as a Harley soft tail seat. Hope that helps, next time the seat is off I will try to get some photos

Cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ozbobber looked all through your photobucket, Very impressed with your work. Had a 60 Valiant myself as a kid. Nice stuff. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess you need to work out what fender you are using and how to mount to it, then stick on the wheel with the correct spacing between the tyre , then what I do is sit there for about 3 hours pondering how I can attach it to the swingarm. Either way I think a welder will be involved. If not to weld the mounts a bracket to bolt the mounts to?
I have been doing that in my head for a while. it is probably exactly what I will end up doing. Since no one piped up with pics, I guess I will be the first. I was looking at the upper bar of the swing arm the other day and noticed how much "clearance" there is. half the upper bar moves in toward the tire. I think I am going to end up with a funny shape under the seat and then open back up to normal width. At the end of fall I will park the bike in the garage and start taking stuff off so I can see everything better. I will need to get the new tire/wheel I plan to run before modding since I plan on going wider, 230 or 240.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts