Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay... i've seen tons of mod'ed bikes but can't find specifics on fenders used for the back...

my plan: is to try and use my current solo seat but have a shorter fender, almost 1/2 as long... may need to drop the brackets to get it to look right?!?!

if i can't do that, may be going to a springer seat... so basically i was wondering if anyone has or knows of some projects out there that have done this and have some details. i'm not a welder, but know plenty... not looking to go to a fab shop and spend 1000's to get a cool look either...

TIA

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
viewed but no comments?!?! :(

ok... looked at the framework a little more and it looks possible with the solo seat... the space between the tire and the frame is almost 6 1/2". i wonder what it would look like with about 1" space between the seat and the actual fender (if I shimmed it up to latch properly after dropping the fender)???

so then it's actually 3 1/2" when the lowering kit is on (hopefully soon)... and unless i make it a hardtail i will need an 1" or 2" for travel of the shock... wonder how much it actually does travel at the highest or next to highest setting?? hmmmm.... 1-1 1/2" space would be perfect but it would have to be rigid, and remember i am thinking of cutting the existing fender in 1/2 so there is only a little bit riding over the tire... like the bobber look... could just remove it all together and cut the bracket off the frame and put it back on to support the seat?!?! decisions decisions...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for pics

hey modders!

i found a pic of a fender idea i like, but not sure it works on the vn900... it's a hardtail design...

basically the fender encompasses the tire and is welded to the swingarm... but since it's not a hardtail, and i do not want to make it one, will it work? anyone seen pics like this where the top struts are chopped off?

i have found a TON of vn800's ... i think i should have gotten one of them!! nah, i love my custom!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've thought about changing mine out too. But I like the flipped out tail look of the Dyna Wide Glides....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've thought about changing mine out too. But I like the flipped out tail look of the Dyna Wide Glides....
yea... if i can't get the streamline look i also like that look... i'm sure you could find a way to make it look cleaner though, rather than just flip out with a light sitting in the space.. maybe have it flip out and roll with the tire and then close it off with a light and turn signals stuck in there... i never worked with fiberglass before but with a little practice it doesn't seem impossible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, i probably will have to make something work like that... I have a great idea for some custom LED lights for the stock tail --- but serious fab work will be needed...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Still thinking of changing mine but complete opposite direction of yours. Instead of bobbed I want the tail dragger or desperado rear. But google up bobber vn900 theres a few with bobbed fenders and springer seats also google oldys fenders

·
Registered
71 Posts
What about using the Classic fender?? Does that go low enough for ya?? it would bolt right up, but may not be low enough to the ground if you're after the Dragger look...

·
Registered
41 Posts
so u wanna eliminate ur fender and moun one to ur subfram correct? a freind of mine does that on his soft tail choppers he builds! It willl work..get a fender suited for a hard-tail bike and work from their!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about using the Classic fender?? Does that go low enough for ya?? it would bolt right up, but may not be low enough to the ground if you're after the Dragger look...
ditto... i have seen folks use a classic fender and loved it! g/l

so u wanna eliminate ur fender and moun one to ur subfram correct? a freind of mine does that on his soft tail choppers he builds! It willl work..get a fender suited for a hard-tail bike and work from their!
already there... found a few sites that offer them, cheap also! just looking to NOT re-invent the wheel on this... because i am sure someone has done it?!?! so why try to rethink this one out...

·
Registered
41 Posts
ditto... i have seen folks use a classic fender and loved it! g/l

already there... found a few sites that offer them, cheap also! just looking to NOT re-invent the wheel on this... because i am sure someone has done it?!?! so why try to rethink this one out...
mind sharing the info about the fender and where u found it..keep us updated..my winter project is about to start as well...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not much to add other than putting a classic fender on a custom?!?

personally, i don't like it because it hides much of the tire... but guys like the look. i will search around to see where they've been around...

·
Registered
41 Posts
the only thing i can come up with is get a hard tail fender, fabricate struts that weld on the inside of the fender..mount them to the sub frame...would take some work, but if u have the tools it should not be that difficult

good luck cant wait to see your updates

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i've found a few uploads that show just that asg13... they either had or welded on two tabs on the frame just behind the battery/toolbox and matching ones on the fender... then if long enough, one lower... if not, they needed the strut posts running up the back either just to the fender or up further as a modified backrest look.

what about modifying OUR fenders?? the one thing that always rubbed me the wrong way was -- who was the moron that designed them?!?! not just the length of them, but why is the left side different from the right?!?! (under the strut covers)

what if that space was 'modified'... kind of like this:

·
Registered
41 Posts
i've found a few uploads that show just that asg13... they either had or welded on two tabs on the frame just behind the battery/toolbox and matching ones on the fender... then if long enough, one lower... if not, they needed the strut posts running up the back either just to the fender or up further as a modified backrest look.

what about modifying OUR fenders?? the one thing that always rubbed me the wrong way was -- who was the moron that designed them?!?! not just the length of them, but why is the left side different from the right?!?! (under the strut covers)

what if that space was 'modified'... kind of like this:

havent thought about modding the stock fender..i am with u, it does look better with that FILLER but i still wanna eliminate the struts.. If a man was not going to ride 2 up it would be extremely easy!IMO

i should be movin my bike to my buddy shop over the next few days..i have a fender their that we may play with..however its for a 250 tire that i have on my fat bastard 250 rolling chasis..RAN OUT OF FUNDS so its not together yet..

i may try to fool with that fender although i plan on the 230 tire over winter as well so it may not be that off..we have a new tig welder to play with as well..hopefull a plasma cutter too!!

also i like the fenders from Britt and the couple others however i do not want to spend 250 on a fender taht still uses the stock struts..if i can find a way to mount a hard tail fender to the sub frame i will...similar to the HARLEY ROCKER concept!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yup, it's something to contemplate... cutting off the struts or not?!? like I mentioned, i found a pic of the two tabs... but it was on a vn800, not 900. regardless you could just add them... you'd have to add a support for a new solo seat also anyway so while you're welding that just add the tabs!

i like the look of running a custom fender strut up at the end of the fender that is connected to the frame near the axle, but only when they are exaggerated higher and made with a design. we'll see... still got time to decide...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check with Blue Collar Bobbers. The last time I checked, they were working on a setup for the 900s. They offer some cool stuff at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love the fender on the green bike. Where did you find it? Wonder if its a 2 or 3 inch drop? Im doing the 200 70 15 so a 2 inch drop might be perfect. Without dropping the back it would look bad but thats sharp. Glad you posted it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts