Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to fit some hard bags on the 88 and the rear caliper is in the way of getting a good, close fit (well, not in the way when she’s standing still, but I only have about 1.5” clearance and specs say 3.9” of travel ). I don’t want to go on the outside because it would be about a 4-5” gap between the fender and the bag which I think looks terrible. So if I’m holding the bag location, that would mean relocating the brake caliper which at first sounded stupid, but as I looked at it, maybe not. It appears to be held on by a single piece of thick stock aluminum, which I’m sure I can get someone around here to fabricate a modified version for not too much money. Is there a problem with fabricating a new rear caliper bracket the rotates the whole unit further back on the disk?

I’m not really interested in “that’s a lot of effort” or “just leave the giant gap” kinds of comments. I guess my question is would there be other complications? Does the caliper angle matter at all for performance? Are there any gravity dependent pieces in there I don’t know about? It would probably get more exhaust heat; is that a problem? I’m more of a learn as I go guy; any of you actually know what’s going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahahgahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahahahahahha dint see this 1 :( LOL PMSROF LOL

Steve

You’re crazy, Steve

So, to bring a pic over from the other thread:

It looks like relocating the caliper with a new bracket is totally doable. Did you fabricate that or are they available somewhere? Looks like you have a new caliper as well. Quite a lot thinner it seems. What make and model is that? I hadn’t really thought about replacing the whole thing...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi @LandyLou some more pics for you :) ALL done by my self :) barring the welding :( to tight to buy the gas for my Tig LOl The caliper is just a 4 pot of a front end i had :) laying about , the ally plate is 6mm thick + you will see I used the original caliper brkt , the brake is now a LOT better than the original 1 that was on the bike :) hope this helps :)

DSCF5872.jpg

DSCF5883.jpg

DSCF5884.jpg

DSCF5891.jpg

DSCF5892.jpg

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So @LandyLou :) wots your thoughts ???

Steve

You know what they say: “It isn’t crazy if it works.”

I’ve been showing your pictures to pretty much every bike guy I come across! There is a bike junkyard not too far from where I live. I would be interesting to take some measurements and go see what he has down there.

What kind of caliper did you use exactly? You mentioned that it was a front caliper, which was a good idea. What does 4 pot mean?

I’m on the road for work, but looking forward to looking into this when I get back.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi @LandyLou Hope your well :) You are awake then LOL The Time difference dunt help :( But ay o here goes LOl
The caliper is a 4 piston 1 so it can be fixed never to move unlike the standed caliper :( + it makes it thinner :) which helps when fitting bags
It dunt have to be a front caliper it can be a rear but it will have to be a 4 pot:) so that it can be permanently fixed + being a shaft drive bike it makes things easier to sort :) unlike the conversion I'm doing on a vn800 i have on the bench LOL
The comment about having a parts bike means its easier to jig stuff up when your messing with stuff LOL instead of striping the main bike :) Just to add it needs to be a front right hand caliper so its the right way round (no pun intended ) LOL
DSCF6039.jpg

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi @LandyLou have you got this bit of a job sorted yet ??? LOL

Steve

Someday I’ll be retired and I’ll have all the time in the world to tinker. That day is not today

That doesn’t mean I haven’t been working on her. I’ll post in my project thread with all the details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts