Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!im wondering is it possible to put disk brake at the rear wheel?im not very satisfied with the breaks and I dont know what upgrade to do
Thank you

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
I guess Kaw was trying to save a few bucks in using mechanical rear brakes. It slows you down at best. And it's even worst if you have the vn800a model because of the single piston caliper up front.

That being said, the easiest way to add a rear disk brake is to source the entire rear end off a Drifter 800. Also the front master cylinder and brake pedal. Its a direct bolt on.

This is a vn800a with a complete drifter 800 rear end...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Wow. I wish it were that easy for my 750!

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Your best bet is to make sure that the brakes you have are in tip top working order. That could be the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess Kaw was trying to save a few bucks in using mechanical rear brakes. It slows you down at best. And it's even worst if you have the vn800a model because of the single piston caliper up front.

That being said, the easiest way to add a rear disk brake is to source the entire rear end off a Drifter 800. Also the front master cylinder and brake pedal. Its a direct bolt on.

This is a vn800a with a complete drifter 800 rear end...
Excellent info! - What else - besides the wheel - does "rear end" include here, do you know?

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Excellent info! - What else - besides the wheel - does "rear end" include here, do you know?

Rear wheel
Swingarm ( drifter swingarm has a block that the caliper slides into)
Foot master cylinder, foot control, and brake hose.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Γεια σου από Θεσσαλονίκη :)

I had a VN400 Classic which had the rear drum brake, the stopping power of the rear brake alone is weak anyway, you have to use both brakes all the time.
Now I have a VN900 Classic and the brakes are both disc , the rear locks really easy if I step heavier than a feather on it :)
Just make sure the rear brake is good inside, more work to check it than a disc but you will not worry about it after that for a long time.
Feel free to ask anything as I did all the maintenance myself and continue to do it to my current bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Γεια σου από Θεσσαλονίκη :)

I had a VN400 Classic which had the rear drum brake, the stopping power of the rear brake alone is weak anyway, you have to use both brakes all the time.

Now I have a VN900 Classic and the brakes are both disc , the rear locks really easy if I step heavier than a feather on it :)

Just make sure the rear brake is good inside, more work to check it than a disc but you will not worry about it after that for a long time.

Feel free to ask anything as I did all the maintenance myself and continue to do it to my current bike.
Γεια σου αγορινα!
Well I change the inside of mechanical break I dont know exactly the name of part (sorry my English sucks) it breaks better but my kle250 breaks better (have disk break front and rear)...
Unfortunately it is very difficult to find here at Greece a drifter for parts...its very rare to find a complete drifter!so for now I see that I cant change it...thank you all!
(Εσυ είσαι που το πουλας στο car το vn900? )

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
rear brake contribute to 25% of total stopping ability, front brake is 70% with 5% being thru down-shifting engine compression

1 - 10 of 10 Posts