Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Vulcan 750 and I am not happy with my rear brake. I realize it is not a disk brake and won't stop a quick. But I think it would and could stop quicker. The brake shoes appear to be in good condition but it may be old. If I change the shoes will it stop quicker? Does anyone have any idea.:cool::confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
unless you glazed the shoes, which happens when improperly breaking in a new set. A new set of shoes will not do much more than cost you money. There is a disc conversion available for some bikes... expensive but might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If they're glazed you can cure the problem by cleaning it off with coarse emery cloth or glass paper. glazing is usually caused by over adjusting the brakes so they rub slightly on the drums and overheat, also by riding with your foot resting on the lever

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 1991 Vulcan EN500. How hard is it to pull the rear brake and change them myself, if needed. The reason I ask is I just replaced my seat lock. That works fine and so has the bike but when I moved the rear brake pedal it made some kind of noise (I was sitting on the bike in my garage) and the pedal went down further than it should. I adjuster the brake cable at the rear tire and took it out for a short run and it seemed to work. It is scary as I don't know why the pedal went down. I was like a car pedal going to the floor when there's no fluid in it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just took my bike to the Kawa dealer who set my rear brake in a minute or two. I am having other things done too. These guys are great and like their jobs.....FLAT OUT on Washington St in Indpls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts