Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I had noticed a occasional hum or squeek from my rear brake, and upon taking a look today, the rotor surface is uneven, if you run a finger from the center out, you feel the grooves.

What would cause this? I have only had the bike for about 4500kms so far (and Im the original owner). Could this be from a rock getting near the brake pads and getting stuck, or a mis-aligned wheel?

Should the rotor be 100% flat?

Should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey,

I had noticed a occasional hum or squeek from my rear brake, and upon taking a look today, the rotor surface is uneven, if you run a finger from the center out, you feel the grooves.

What would cause this? I have only had the bike for about 4500kms so far (and Im the original owner). Could this be from a rock getting near the brake pads and getting stuck, or a mis-aligned wheel?

Should the rotor be 100% flat?

Should I be concerned?
Unless there's a definate groove dug into the rotor I don't think you have anything to worry about. How does it compare to the front rotor? Check the pad wear first and if there's still plenty of meat left on the pads you can try taking a pencil and scribbling across both faces of the rotor. This usually takes away the squeaking sound you hear. If you don't want to try that then take a sheet of fine emery cloth and gently sand both surfaces. Don't try and take any of the metal off of the rotor, just give it a surface cleaning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front rotor on the bike is 100% true and flat.

There is no definite groove, just the surface isn't 100% flat anymore. The brakes look like they still have plenty of meat on them.

Im not so much worried about the squeaking, that's usually an easy enough fix, I was more concerned with whether or not there is something wrong with the brakes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I can't speak to bikes specifically, but on cars, that kind of wear pattern is normal. If you're braking mostly with the rear, then you'd see a difference from the front.

Normal wear is grooved kind of like an LP record, but is polished mirror bright.

If you see wear that is satin finish, something's wrong.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i agree with mb... if it bothers you (like it does me because mine is starting to do it) i'd try the brake lube that is "supposed" to reduce/eliminate the squeaking... then new pads and lastly turn the rotors if there is enough tolerance left on them.

i've heard of people lightly sanding the rotor to try and re-groove them and it's helped but have never done it and don't recommend it?!?! you could also just inspect the pads... there may be build up or even something stuck in the pad causing the noise and excessive grooving.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
i agree with mb... if it bothers you (like it does me because mine is starting to do it) i'd try the brake lube that is "supposed" to reduce/eliminate the squeaking... then new pads and lastly turn the rotors if there is enough tolerance left on them.

i've heard of people lightly sanding the rotor to try and re-groove them and it's helped but have never done it and don't recommend it?!?! you could also just inspect the pads... there may be build up or even something stuck in the pad causing the noise and excessive grooving.

good luck!
The buildup is on the rotors from the pads not the other way around. By lightly sanding the rotors you dislodge the contaminants. A pencil's lead on the rotors also takes away the squeaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts