Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can someone help me with the location and removal instructions for the rear brake light switch. Mine sticks so when I apply the rear brake the light goes on but doesn't go back off, unless I yank the pedal up really hard with my hand (there was another post on this where I finally found the issue).

I know it has to be cleaned, possibly replaced - my search on the internet says it's a common problem. I just need specific help on what to take apart for my VN900. When I look I see the pedal a large spring behind the housing at the bottom of the pedal arm and it pulls something above that (the point closest to the pipes). Is that the switch? Do I need to remove the floorboard, pedal..etc?

I'm sure plently of you have done this, would appreciate any help, PICs..links to such on the web - thanks!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Couple of seasons ago my 2 year out the box 1500 had that same issue. I just got on my back with some WD-40 and sprayed a bit on the switch housing and worked it in with the pedal. Then worked in another blast and no more problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of seasons ago my 2 year out the box 1500 had that same issue. I just got on my back with some WD-40 and sprayed a bit on the switch housing and worked it in with the pedal. Then worked in another blast and no more problem.
Yeah I tried that..didn't help. I really think I need to replace the switch, the slightest tap on the brake pedal engages the light...there is no play in all. It probably only moves half a milimeter - if that - and the light comes on!!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Sounds like the switch is fine. It may be a matter of pedal return due to dirty splines and/or push-rod. The brake pedal spline should also be greased after cleaning. At least that what my 1500 has going on. There's an adjustment on the end of the push-rod that should be alright if it worked at one time. Oh, and the switch should be cleaned with contact cleaner. I cheated (lazy) when using WD-40.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the switch is fine. It may be a matter of pedal return due to dirty splines and/or push-rod. The brake pedal spline should also be greased after cleaning. At least that what my 1500 has going on. There's an adjustment on the end of the push-rod that should be alright if it worked at one time. Oh, and the switch should be cleaned with contact cleaner. I cheated (lazy) when using WD-40.
It's possible..but the light comes on without really moving the pedal. If you take the actual pedal it pivots up towards the bike, just like the floorboard. If I lift it up and drop it, without moving the lever, this is enough to engage the light. I really think it's a bad contact, maybe not in the right 'out' position...maybe it needs an adjustment - I think there is a way to adjust this but going back to my orignal post I really don't know what to touch in there..

·
Registered
186 Posts
It sounds like the switch works, since the light is coming on and going off, but it needs adjustment. There is an adjustment bolt on the under side of the switch. Hold the switch housing when adjusting the bolt so you don't damage the switch itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ok if your sitting on the bike, on the left of your barke pedal you will see a bracket right behind that bracket you should see the switch, it has a spring on it , on the switch you will see 2 nuts , use them to adjusted the switch.

the switch looks something like the picture

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok if your sitting on the bike, on the left of your barke pedal you will see a bracket right behind that bracket you should see the switch, it has a spring on it , on the switch you will see 2 nuts , use them to adjusted the switch.

the switch looks something like the picture
Got it - found it! Thanks so much guys for helping me here. I found the switch and I find I can toggle the break light just by playing with the spring at the bottom of the switch. Difficult to adjust any nuts though, I think I have to remove the floorboards to get to it more easily. Will play around tonight - +10C tomorrow, good riding weather in Toronto!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Got it - found it! Thanks so much guys for helping me here. I found the switch and I find I can toggle the break light just by playing with the spring at the bottom of the switch. Difficult to adjust any nuts though, I think I have to remove the floorboards to get to it more easily. Will play around tonight - +10C tomorrow, good riding weather in Toronto!
Glad to hear , lets know how you make out , taking off the floorboard is easy , just don't loose the clip when you go to take the pin off

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear , lets know how you make out , taking off the floorboard is easy , just don't loose the clip when you go to take the pin off
Clip?!!? I took the floorboard off, played around with the spring from the switch. I can see that it's simply not receeding back fully so I removed the spring, tried cleaning it and then put it back...also sprayed the switch and slid it in and out...not fixed yet, next step is to try those bolts - but I didn't see a clip of any kind - maybe that's my problem!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Clip?!!? I took the floorboard off, played around with the spring from the switch. I can see that it's simply not receeding back fully so I removed the spring, tried cleaning it and then put it back...also sprayed the switch and slid it in and out...not fixed yet, next step is to try those bolts - but I didn't see a clip of any kind - maybe that's my problem!
Nope your fine , the clip is for the floor board, sounds like the switch is to high so the spring is pulling it down, need to lower the switch, there are two nuts on the switch , the top one is use to lower it then the bottom one will keep it tight, so make sure they are both tight

1 - 11 of 11 Posts