Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17600 miles started hearing a slight hum/squeek coming from the right rear while leaning into a corner. No noise at all otherwise.
17700 miles, noise started at all times while traveling under 40 mph.
17800 miles, still unable to isolate what was causing noise. yes, checked belt tension, put bike on lift checked for any movement, rotated wheel, checked brakes. found nothing.
Rode 10 miles to dealership to make appointment to have them check it out,
they could not get it in for a couple of days :(, so home I went. within 5 miles the noise got so loud I could hear it over my freedoms.
I made it home, ( slowly ) took the rear tire off and found the right bearing was seized..:eek::(:mad:
What a bummer.
Took wheel to dealership to change out, will also have front done for GP's..
What was learned ???? a hum/squeek, probably a bearing....bo123gdhhjj

·
Registered
987 Posts
Bearings

I change my bearings out quite often now. Had the dampner bearing come completely apart and jam the rear pulley into the frame, dumping me and my wife rather unceremoniously onto the grass in Deadwood... I ignored the squeak because I thought it was the belt being too tight. Live and learn :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe I will now change wheel bearings with every front tire change.
When I took my front wheel off, the bearings were in need of replacement also.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Tools

Pearhead

If you are going to do the wheel bearings yourself, invest in the special tool listed in the manual. I had to get it from Japan, but it is well worth the effort.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ophidia, I would check, both my right outer and the inside hub bearings were seized.
And have one on order Danad.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've noticed an occasional momentary hum from the rear wheel area while riding. It lasts maybe 1-2 seconds. I've noticed it only when riding straight. It comes on suddenly and as soon as I notice it the sound goes away. It has occured maybe 8 times during the 3-4 hours of riding time that I have on this new-to-me bike. Mileage is 16K.

Edit- been riding all day today and really paying attention to the sound. I'm thinking now that the sound is actually noise from the fuel injection system. It doesn't happen sporadically. It seems to happen during normal accaleration from a standstill and I seem to hear it more as I'm progressing through the rpms in second gear. It sounds more like a momentary whirling motor sound. It seems the V2K makes a variety of odd noises during normal operation.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark and Wolf. Bikebandit.com has them. for my 09 the Left outside bearing is #863323, for $41.00. Inside the hub and the right outside are the same #851367, for $24.00 each.
hope this helps..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to say that this time I am glad I took my bike into the dealer for repairs.(of course to begin with, it was because of a lack of my time) .
Anyways, dealer did some checking and found that Ma Kaw has an issue with contaminates getting past the bearing seal on V2k's, causing premature failure.
Front and rear are being covered under warranty.
Yehaw, good for me.:D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Mark and Wolf. Bikebandit.com has them. for my 09 the Left outside bearing is #863323, for $41.00. Inside the hub and the right outside are the same #851367, for $24.00 each.
hope this helps..
While I see that Kawasaki has you covered, FWIW, Powersports Warehouse has the double outer (92045) for $29 and the two others (601B6304UU) for $17 each. Shipping is a little higher there but on anything more than a couple pretty small parts it usually comes out same or less total (as I believe it would in this case), and the two orders I've place have shipped and arrived in a timely manner.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I have to say that this time I am glad I took my bike into the dealer for repairs.(of course to begin with, it was because of a lack of my time) .
Anyways, dealer did some checking and found that Ma Kaw has an issue with contaminates getting past the bearing seal on V2k's, causing premature failure.
Front and rear are being covered under warranty.
Yehaw, good for me.:D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Is this some sort of "don't ask, don't tell" service policy warranty, or just covered by the normal warranty of the bike?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is this some sort of "don't ask, don't tell" service policy warranty, or just covered by the normal warranty of the bike?
I believe my extended took care of it.
I asked the service manager to check if my extended would cover it, since they are non-servicable parts.
He called me a few days later and said Kawi was covering them because "they " have an issue of contaminates getting past the seal and ruining the bearings on V2K's.

To me, a person would have to challenge and ask about it, as opposed to it automatically being covered.
Or maybe I just lucked out :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update:
got wheels back with new bearings.
service manager told me that when they removed my bearing, they could find nothing wrong with them,( turned smoothly, just like the new ones ).:confused:
New ones were still installed, under warranty.:)
Funny thing is , the noise I had to start my concern with the bearings, is now
gone... go figure..:D

·
Registered
702 Posts
yes, it is. Last ride home, my eyeglasses frame broke, had to ride some 5 hours without them, finally couldn't stand it, stopped and got new frames just to get home. Don't need "surprises" on my ride home, bearings included.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
yes, it is. Last ride home, my eyeglasses frame broke, had to ride some 5 hours without them, finally couldn't stand it, stopped and got new frames just to get home. Don't need "surprises" on my ride home, bearings included.
What do you do, that you ride 1,600 miles round trip like that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts