Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
Its been 2 days now i'm trying to find out about my Vin number to be able to order some parts and my nerves are shaken since the only Vin in the frame behind the headlight is a 12 digit. Since i leave in Europe and my bike was import back then to my country brand new i supposed that its a Japanese import for EU.
I don't know if its a 1996 or 1997 model since the first digit are VN800A but my bike its a classic. I posted some pictures with the frame VIN and the front label with some letters and numbers. Anyone can help me?
Thanks for your time.
Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Mike don't know if I can be much help.
I am at work right now.
In the USA, all our VIN numbers are 17 digits.
They are usually on the right side of the steering stem hidden from view by the fork. Try using a flashlight and turn the wheel to the left. Look behind the fork between the top and bottom triple on the frame and you should see the 17 digit number.

Maybe others will have better advice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mike don't know if I can be much help.
I am at work right now.
In the USA, all our VIN numbers are 17 digits.
They are usually on the right side of the steering stem hidden from view by the fork. Try using a flashlight and turn the wheel to the left. Look behind the fork between the top and bottom triple on the frame and you should see the 17 digit number.

Maybe others will have better advice?
Dear chromedome195,
Thank you for supply me with some help. At least somebody answer :)
Now about what your saying the only number that is attached on the right is the one on my attachment with the name frame number. In the middle there is the label which i also have in the second attachment. There is also in the left top side in the frame the country of destination written as MADE IN JAPAN. Just these...
By the way is there any chance for model/bike identification with the engine number?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Only thing I can figure is that you must have more digits hiding somewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Explanation below:

Digits 1,2,3 are World, Manufacturer, Identifier

1 = J ( Japan or whatever country the vehicle is made in )
2 = k ( Kawasaki or Y for Yamaha or S for suzuki etc)
3 = 1 or A ( code for motorcycle )

Digits 4,5,6,7,8 are Vehicle descriptor Section

4 = Vehicle category

C=scooter
B=business model or commuter
N=single cylinder sport/street
G=multiple cylinder sport/street
F=Family
S=Off road
V=V-Type engine, street, V2/V4/v6/v8 etc)

5= Engine displacement

A=49cc and less
B=50-69cc
C=70-79cc
D=80-89cc
E=90-99cc
F=100-124cc
G=125-149cc
H=150-199cc
J=200-249cc
K=250-399cc
M=400-499cc
N=500-599cc
P=600-699cc
R=700-749cc
S=750-849cc
T=850-999cc
U=1000-1099cc
V=1100-1199cc
W=1200-1299cc
Y=1400-1499cc
Z=1500 & up

6= Engine Type

1=2 stroke single
2=2 stroke twin
3=2 stroke triple or four
4=4 stroke single
5=4 stroke twin
6=?
7=4 stroke four

7=Design sequence or model version first version uses 1 then second version uses 2 etc... the tenth version would then be identified by the letter A then B etc..

8=Model version ( base model usually by an A, another letter would be used for special editions or different models of the ame vehicle )

9=Check digit ( 0-9 or X )

10= Year Code

80-A
81-B
82-C
83-D
84-E
85-F
86-G
87-H
88-J
89-K
90-L
91-M
92-N
93-P
94-R
95-S
96-T
97-V
98-W
99-X
00-Y
01-1
02-2
03-3
04-4
05-5
06-6
07-7
08-8
09-9 ( Don't know what happens after that )

11= Factory code ( manufacturer code for what plant it was built in )

12,13,14,15,16,17= Vehicle Identification Number ( serial number )

So for example a 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 500 would look something like this

JKA GM71A X 3 2 123456

JKA= Japan,Kawasaki,Motorcycle
GM71A= Multiple cylinder sport/street, 400-499cc, 4stroke four, Version1, Base model
X= Check digit
3= 2003
2= Plant #2
123456= Serial number

Does that help?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes my friend it helps a lot. A lot of precious information thanks.
Now i can put them all down and make the vin for my bike.
The only problem is that i will never know if the vin i will make is the correct one or not.:(
The problem start when i needed to purchase a carb holder (driver of the needle). The part catalog shows 3 different kind of holders. The same for 1996 1997 1998 models. Part number for first :160171377, for second: 160171378, for third: 160170057 JET-NEEDLE. So the part dealer ask me about the vin to check which one. So i cant and this situation brake my nerves since this is the first time i got a bike with a vin that is not recognized.
Do you know anything about the engine number though?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Mike..No I'm sorry I don't have any motor number info.

Perhaps someone else does......

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Not sure how things are done in Europe in this respect, but in the states here, the Vin is on the title/bill of sale, the registration and the insurance ID cards. Maybe you can check these?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure how things are done in Europe in this respect, but in the states here, the Vin is on the title/bill of sale, the registration and the insurance ID cards. Maybe you can check these?
Thanks Rick,
The fact is that in my document registration documents and insurance documents are the same vins as the 12digit on my frame.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
This may take some effort from the dealer, but they should be able to use the number you have and go through Kawasaki to identify your bike. If I'm understanding this right, you bought the bike new in Europe and brought it back to the states?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This may take some effort from the dealer, but they should be able to use the number you have and go through Kawasaki to identify your bike. If I'm understanding this right, you bought the bike new in Europe and brought it back to the states?
No I am from Europe. First owner buy the bike new from here. Then i bought it used.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have just checked on a UK Kawasaki parts website (http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/) and your VIN as shown on the picture of the frame is correct and your bike is a 1997 model. VN800A-050001 to VN800A-063000 is 1997. Your bike is a 1997 VN900A3 according to this website. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello guys,
Its been 2 days now i'm trying to find out about my Vin number to be able to order some parts and my nerves are shaken since the only Vin in the frame behind the headlight is a 12 digit. Since i leave in Europe and my bike was import back then to my country brand new i supposed that its a Japanese import for EU.
I don't know if its a 1996 or 1997 model since the first digit are VN800A but my bike its a classic. I posted some pictures with the frame VIN and the front label with some letters and numbers. Anyone can help me?
Thanks for your time.
Mike
chromedome is correct it is a 17 digit vin and the 10th digit is the year

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is my babe

Thank you all guys.
As it seems is a 1997 VN800A3. But VN800A3 is also classic model?
By the way this is my babe!

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
She's a hot babe, but you have the B model which is the classic. The A model is what I have and it has shorter fenders, thinner forks and tires, and a smaller headlight. Yours is more touring, mine is more like a bar hopper. Then there is the C model called the Drifter. This one looks like an older Indian Chief.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very Confusing!!!

She's a hot babe, but you have the B model which is the classic. The A model is what I have and it has shorter fenders, thinner forks and tires, and a smaller headlight. Yours is more touring, mine is more like a bar hopper. Then there is the C model called the Drifter. This one looks like an older Indian Chief.
Dear friend,
That' s why its so confusing. My VIN is specify that my bike is an A model, But my Bike is actually a B model.
Very confusing!
If i need some mechanical parts how i supposed to order them with my VIN number?
RRRR

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's odd that yours is showing as an A model by the vin number. Maybe the previous owner purchased all the parts or bought a donor bike to swap it over to a Classic.
You don't need to worry as most parts are the same on these bikes though.
Yours is similar to mine though, I'm in the UK. Yours is not a Japanese import (grey import) as it is E marked therefore it is an official European bike I'd say.
However, I still don't understand why you only have 12 digits. European vin numbers are 17 digit just like they are over in the states. The numbers can mean slightly different things though I believe.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hello guys,
Thanks for your time.
Mike
Hi neighbour, first time I have seen another cyprus resident on here. I'm at famagusta area.

You have a vn 800 classic, with wide wheel on the front and a twin pot brake caliper, and also low and wide rear fender (mudguard) which is a B model. But you have the very first year of the classic and kawasaki used A model frames for them, as the frames are identical.
On your registration documents you should have a letter after the number, like this= VN800B1 if its a 96(or maybe B2 if its a 97). The number after the letter B tells you how many years that model has been made.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
why do you need a new needle jet? have you altered things on the engine? The jet should not wear out.

The different jet numbers are for fine tuning the engine, depending on where it is going to be used. At very high altitudes you need a different size to sea level.
Kawasaki in Lefkosia should be able to supply you with the standard jet used here. maybe you are confusing them with the options.
Use a magnifying glass on the side of the jet, there will be a number. If you havent altered the engine, you just want the same number again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts