Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So here's the scenario: I rode to work the other day (an 11 mile ride or so), and arrived at 8:30am. Around 12:30pm I went to head home, and bike started and idled normally while I suited up. I pulled away and after 30 seconds or so, noticed that I wasn't really using any throttle to maintain my speed (35 mph). When I stopped at the lights, the bike was idling at some insane revs - I think about 6000rpm. I sat there and let it roar for 30 seconds or so until the revs dropped back down to the usual idle of 1200rpm, presumably once the temp had hit it's mark.

It was a mild day, so I suspect the bike hadn't cooled down completely in the 4 hours it was parked up - is this a normal scenario for a partially-warmed up Vulcan?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It was mentioned that your bike normally idles at 1200 RPM, the shop manual states that normal idle speed for a Vulcan 900 should be set to 1000 RPM. Don't know whether that has any relationship with the problem which you experienced, but the idle speed with you experienced is not normal, partially warmed-up or not.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Check the voltage of the battery after it rests over night.

I experienced the very same thing a few times when the battery was at the end of its life (12.3-12.4Volts resting)... Didn't happen again with the new battery in the last 2 years. Could be unrelated but I remember some members having this conversation a while back.

You can use the kill switch, wait a few seconds and start it up again. It will idle high, but not the 5-6K high. I've done it a few times without coming to a complete stop. If stationary, putting it in first gear also lowers the RPMs but not all the way down to 1200.

·
Registered
67 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts