Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Ready!!!

441 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  vulcandoc 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I just purchased my first bike. A 2004 Vulcan 500 LTD, I know I should have gone bigger. So far learning to ride has been a blast.
I came into riding unintentionally. The typical story, came home from deployment about six weeks ago. The wife had taken off with the car, most other belongings, and drained the accounts when she heard I'd touched down stateside. So as a mechanic I knew with the money I did have my only option was a lemon. Then my brother suggested a bike!
Got a super sweet deal, tried to ride it home, wised up and called a truck and proceeded to learn the next day. So far so good. I haven't laid it over while riding yet, but I have knocked it over while working on it lol. The two wheels trips me up everytime. Like jacking it up to get new tires took some serious innovation. Not to mention it took me a solid 30 minutes to realize there was no dipstick!
Definitely some really crazy differences from cars/trucks. But at the end of the day I'm loving it.
I'm not sure which I love more, riding it or wrenching on it. Currently just replacing everything that could have needed to be replaced so I can have my mile zero in my logs. The previous owner definitely had a neglectful attitude towards maintenance.
Anyway, I look forward to discussing and learning from you guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.
I have a 500LTD in the stable too.
Sorry about the personal stuff. Time heals.... I guess..... sometimes....
Safe Riding.
Kevin

#3 ·
Admilstead thank you for your service Sir and keeping us safe. The other stuff, sorry you had to deal with that crap.

On the plus side, you have a new bike and will have a great time...... until you need a bigger one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.