Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have been convinced the ME880 is the tire for me. I've seen a few posts that have made me think about what size I should go with. Any suggestions for the best size for replacement? I like the idea of a more robust tire on the back. Love to know the pros and cons of stock tire size and larger.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
fellow newfie here......on my 900 custom i run metzeler 880 90/90-21 front and 180/70-15 thought about the 200 for the rear but it would have cost me nearly double

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New tires

Thanks! How are the tires wearing? Most threads seem to say good for about 16000K. I read somewhere if you go up to the 200 it gives the big more torque, almost like an extra gear!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks! How are the tires wearing? Most threads seem to say good for about 16000K. I read somewhere if you go up to the 200 it gives the big more torque, almost like an extra gear!
Going to the 200, you get a larger outside diameter, so you will get less torque, but more top end speed. (More distance for the same wheel revolution.) But correct, like top gear is a bit taller. (which it needs to be!)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
i run the 200 metz on my classic, nice RPM drop and corrects the speedo, on my custom i was thinking about the Avon 200, a little cheaper to buy. I don't know why there is such a price increase from the 180 to the 200 ... probably what ever the market will bare.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here is a rear tire comparison chart, posted some time ago on this site by one of the senior members, comparing the OEM rear tire size (180/70) with the two most popular replacements. I personally went with the 170/80, and I'm happy with that. You don't really notice the slight reduction in tire width, and according to my GPS, the speedometer error has been reduced to just 1% or so. And the 170/80 costs quite a bit less.

Originally Posted by MrClean
Tire____________170/80-15___180/70-15___200/70-15
Sidewall Height____5.35________4.96________5.51
Section Width_____6.69________7.09________7.87
Overall Diameter___25.71______24.92_______26.02
Circumference_____80.77______78.29_______81.76
Revs per mile_____784.49_____809.27_____774.99
Tire Comparator

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
got about 6000km on rear with about 1/2-2/3 thread left 5000km on front 3/4 or more left .....got about 5000km on oem rear could have got 1000km more but was borderlline on passin inspection ( i wish it was like downhome no bike inspections)....front got cut from a road hazzard at around 6000km still had 2/3 or more left......goin with a car tire on the rear next time round.....

·
Registered
292 Posts
+1 to AtlAggie. I did the 170/80 for cost reasons over the 200/70; even with my inexpensive Kenda Kruz, she handles a lot better than the stock Dunnies (the Kendas still look new @ 4,000 miles, whereas the Dunnies were way dead @7,500), and I like the gearing the taller tire gives over the stock size.

·
Registered
273 Posts
200 vs. 170 replacement back tire

So if I read the graph comparison correctly, the 170 tire is cheaper and STILL reduces the RPM's like the 200 would just not as much? I do notice there is a big difference in the price of the two. I was planning on going with the 200 since I just put on the SW front OD pulley but might not be worth the price difference? Opinions please?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, you read the chart correctly. The 170 reduces your revolutions per mile by about 25, and you only get about 10 more revs per mile reduction with the 200. So you get a little more than 2/3 the benefit, at a much lower price. Personally, I would think the reduction would be more than enough, especially if you have already done the pulley change as well.

As I said, I chose the 170s (Pirelli 66's). I am happy with the reduced RPM at highway speeds, the almost correct speedometer, and the lower price. I had to replace the stock Dunlop on the back at 7,700 miles. I'm now at about 15,000, and there is still plenty of tread left. To top it all, the Pirelli's have much improved handling. I know a lot of folks on here are happy with their 200's, and there is no denying that it gives the bike a different "look" with the wider back tire. If that is important to you, maybe the higher price is worth it. But I have absolutely no regrets about choosing the 170 either.

I don't really think you can go wrong here, unless you try to replace with Dunlops.:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
The 200 on the back is really nice. I really think that's the tire this bike should have had on to begin with (but that's just my opinion!).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just had a set of Metzlers put on my Custom. 200 back and 90 on the front. That 90 just fits inside the front fender. Got them through a local motorcycle shop and had them installed there also. Paid $120 for the front tire and $270 for the rear. I saw the shipping label and they came from Parts Unlimited. He must have gotten a good deal because the rear tire is listed at Parts Unlimited for $340.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would also check out Pirelli Night Dragons, they have both upgrade sizes and could be cheaper (eg. the 200 is only $29 dearer than the stock size!!) than the Metz and from all the reports on this forum, just as good.

Have also seen pics of the 90 90/21 fitting under the Custom's front guard real nice with good clearance.

Ride safe!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tire dilema

Thanks for all the great replies. A lot of very good information. Will I have any trouble installing the 200 or the 170 on the stock rim?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies. A lot of very good information. Will I have any trouble installing the 200 or the 170 on the stock rim?
nope .. and if its a classic, you will be able to use the same size tube. Dont know how old your tube may be, anything over 3 years, replace it as well ... around $20 or less here in Canada.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts