Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my V2K for only a couple weeks now and have made a few trips to an empty parking lot to practice a little in the midst of all my riding. My old bike is a 450 lb Suzuki and I'm 5'11" and only 135 lbs so I know I better spend some time learning how to control the beast. Today I started to reach it's limits. While doing some U turns I leaned a tad much and thought I laid it down. Rather the bike slid where the floorboard mounts to the frame. It slid about 6 ft on it before stopping. I'm just happy I was able to get it back up and there was no cosmetic damage at all. So my question is…do you ever even hit the floorboards while turning or does it typically first hit the mount? Here's a pic of the bolt grinding away

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
My boards grind the ground often enough. It's still always a surprise. But they do.

The board hits before the mount on my 1700

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice, don't worry its normal. Mine hits the wear blocks on the board first, normally, and then it goes further inbound to what you hit, and then it can scrape right down the length of the frame on the right side. Love it.
I want to make up some metal wear blocks for the boards so they really throw the sparks all over the crotch rockets I ride with. There is nothing better than scraping the boards through long sweepers at high speed.
I had the front forks a bit low at one stage and it was really tearing into the full length of the frame, but got all that sorted by raising it a bit more.
In the end the bike is getting lighter with every ride.
You have a bit further to go before you reach its limits grasshopper but keep practicing and you will get there. This bike is an awesome beast when you tune into it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I misspoke too. The bike tipped onto that mount and stopped on it. I am amazed it didn't tip all the way onto its side. I had to get off the bike in order to lift it back up. Really is awesome the balance of the bike held it from tipping all the way over

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's interesting. So you don't have engine bars on the bike? If you don't have engine bars and it did not tip over, I might take the engine bars off my bike if it doesn't fall all the way over without them. Have been thinking about taking them off for a while now, extra weight and not a great lover of the look of them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely have engine bars. It just hit the floorboard mount before it ever got to the engine bars.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Your ones look a lot neater than the ones on mine. Are they Fatty Cobra Bars? do you know. Mine look like big elephant ears.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Your ones look a lot neater than the ones on mine. Are they Fatty Cobra Bars? do you know. Mine look like big elephant ears.
Yours look like mine...which I'm told are the OEM Fire & Steel Kawi's...Here they have some chaps on them.....

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a sloped garvel driveway i used to turn around and back into the garage, until i turned one day, wet, and all a-sudden i was laying on my back front tire slide out from underneath it and she layed right over. I have highway bars and kury long pegs the peg folded up and got a tiny bit of gravel on it, but the floorboard took the brunt of the hit slightly bent the braket. the bike just sat there never even hit the saddle bags, did not even trip the tip over sensor, she kept running in first gear throwing gravel and dirt out the back.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yours look like mine...which I'm told are the OEM Fire & Steel Kawi's...Here they have some chaps on them.....
Yeah that's them I reckon, most of the time I don't even notice the things, but when you stand back and look at them, they are pretty weird looking things. I was just thinking if they don't really do much, why have em, to me they seem like a bit of extra weight, Im probably wrong, I normally am.

I have a sloped garvel driveway i used to turn around and back into the garage, until i turned one day, wet, and all a-sudden i was laying on my back front tire slide out from underneath it and she layed right over. I have highway bars and kury long pegs the peg folded up and got a tiny bit of gravel on it, but the floorboard took the brunt of the hit slightly bent the braket. the bike just sat there never even hit the saddle bags, did not even trip the tip over sensor, she kept running in first gear throwing gravel and dirt out the back.
That's incredible isn't it, you would think these beasts would just fall right over on their sides and you would never pick it up.
I did a U turn at petrol station a few months ago after I got fuel, I was moving it out of way and did this tight little turn to park it, I just over balanced it and she flopped over on what I thought was the crash bars, I didn't look, something stopped it falling right over, then through pure embarrassment, I conjured up the power of the universe somehow and lifted it back up straight while still sitting on it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey GGH how goes it bud, man they are somewhat gangly lookin eh. I got a set of HD bars modded and fitted to mine, they look great.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's incredible isn't it, you would think these beasts would just fall right over on their sides and you would never pick it up.
I did a U turn at petrol station a few months ago after I got fuel, I was moving it out of way and did this tight little turn to park it, I just over balanced it and she flopped over on what I thought was the crash bars, I didn't look, something stopped it falling right over, then through pure embarrassment, I conjured up the power of the universe somehow and lifted it back up straight while still sitting on it.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Actually after setting it over on the floorboard mounts I genuinely feel more confident on the beast. It doesn't feel so intimidating to me all of the sudden.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts