Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,my 92 vn 1500 fan wont come on,i have replace the sensor to no avail,i now notice that if i ground the wire nothing happens either,any help would be appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
697 Posts
If like most setups you have a wire from battery power, to sensor, to fan not going through the ignition switch.
So if the sensor finds a high temp, it turns the fan on. Even when the key is off.

You need to make sure all wires are good ends are good, not corroded and making contact.
Put power to the fan and make sure it functions.

If all the above is good post back for more help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the fan works fine just not off the sensor i put a meter on the sensor wire and it seemed to show 7 volts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
697 Posts
Not sure what the 7 volts is but it should be enough to turn the fan slowly.
BUT you should not have 7 volts constantly.

You either have a bad sensor or the wiring to the sensor is bad.
The setup should be -
Battery voltage wired to one side of the sensor and when it's hot enough it "closes the switch" and passes the battery volts to the fan.
That should be 12 volts or more.

Is the coolant level full? Not just in the overflow tank, but in the engine. Remove cap and make sure.
I ask that because if there's air in the system the sensor wont see the correct temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sensor is new,coolant is fine,even if i ground the switch wire nothing happens,not good with wiring so havent a clue whats wrong,i have tried all the standard tests
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
697 Posts
Dont ground or put wires to battery power unless you know what they are.
As I mentioned battery power, to sensor, to fan.

Grounding that wire will do nothing, but might have caused problems.
Did it spark when you did that??

Since I dont own a 1500, is there room for two wires to attach to the sensor, as in one is missing??
Pull the wire/connector off the sensor. It should have 12 plus volts( battery power) on it.

AND where did you measure 7 volts exactly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for reply,no theres is only one wire on the sensor,from factory,i checked by multimeter ,live to sensor wire black to ground
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
The wire going to the sensor is a ground wire if the switch is working correctly when it gets to temp it grounds the wire.You probably have something going on in ur fuse/junction box there's a relay in there for the fan. If you run a jumper on the switch to ground the fan should come on.Somebody may have messed with the wiring don't think there should be any voltage on that wire it just grounds ur fan relay.I'd trace that wire and look for possibly someone tied it into something they shouldn't have.You possibly have a bad fan relay I had the same problem on mine. Test the relay!!
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/16-vulcan-1500/296860-fan-relay.html
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top