Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Raw Gas Coming Out Exhaust

9K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  sfair 
#1 ·
Today, my 09 EN500C started right off like ususal, I let it warm up, and took off. It seemed sluggish, but ran OK at higher speeds(but I could smell gas when stopped for red lights). Rode about 30 miles, put it in garage, went out later to start it, it was very hard to start, and raw gas runs out the exhaust(with engine running) near the muffler on the left side. Could it be a stuck float? If so, why would it stick while the engine is running? The bike was running great before today. Please help!

#2 ·
Maybe your left spark plug is on its way out. Maybe it only sparks intermittently. That's how it was when the ignition coils went out on my cager. It would run fine (mostly), except when I tromped on the accelerator to merge into traffic. It would "die", and then "catch up" after two seconds. I know it's not the same problem, but it's easy enough to check the plug.

#4 ·
1) Is there a way to remove the spark plugs without removing the fuel tank? I checked them once, but had the tank off. I'm concerned about breaking some of those connectors for the instrument panel. After Zim mentioned it, it seems odd that whatever went south did it all at once.

2) Do not have an inline filter. Flow is good thru both carbs when bowl drains are opened. Guess I could check for float leakage by turning the fuel petcock to the position that does not require vacuum for fuel flow. (I checked with engine running...it makes no difference if petcock is in any of the 3 positions). Was wondering if I could just tap the carb with a rubber mallet if float is stuck?

#5 ·
1)

2) Do not have an inline filter. Flow is good thru both carbs when bowl drains are opened. Guess I could check for float leakage by turning the fuel petcock to the position that does not require vacuum for fuel flow. (I checked with engine running...it makes no difference if petcock is in any of the 3 positions). Was wondering if I could just tap the carb with a rubber mallet if float is stuck?
The position that does not require vacuum is "Pri"
It may help to tap the float bowl to unstick the float.Check your oil to be sure that fuel is not draining into the engine.If tapping the bowl unsticks the float,some SeaFoam may help clean things up.
:);)

#7 ·
I've been adding SeaFoam to the fuel for about 700 miles(since I bought the bike). Was just thinking a few days ago that it has helped some and the Kawi is running great (until today) :)

Going to check plugs tomorrow and try to verify whether or not float is sticking.....I store the bike in a wheel chock just to keep it upright instead on the side stand.

Keep those comments coming.........tx

#9 ·
The best way to get to the plugs is by removing the gas tank. It does seem like it is a lot of work to get it off, but in the long run it is worth it. Just my experience. I have had no problems taking my speedo off and un-hooking the electrical connectors and the speedo. Just take your time. The only problem I've run into is getting my tourque wrench to fit on the left plug. The ignitor (coil) is in the way of the head of the tourqe wrench, so I remove it also. I use an 18mm thin wall deep socket to get the plugs out. Good luck.
Pete

#10 · (Edited)
The needle/seat inlet assembly on the left carb was fouled with varnish (removed by the SeaFoam?). I gave it a good flushing by running gas thru the carb, catching it in a quart jar, pouring it back into the tank while using a funnel with a 200 mesh screen to catch all the contaminants. Also used low pressure compressed air (5-7 psi) to blow backwards thru the carb. When the contaminants stopped showing up on the screen, I started the engine and it runs, idles, accelerates, etc., beautifully. I also installed an in-line fuel filter (started thinking about flushing the carbs again if I get some bad gas at the local C-Store), a new oil filter, and put in new oil.

#13 ·
Sorry for threadjacking, but since the OP is going down the Seafoam path. . . what would be a good seafoam to fuel ratio? and frequency? I've been doing 1oz per gallon every tankful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.