Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a rattling noise coming from the left front, left gear shift area? It's very hard for me to tell whats going on because the noise only happens over 30 MPH. It seems to be louder when de-accelerating, the noise seems to less when I pull in the clutch.

At first I thought rattling noise was coming from the left bushing of the wheel, brake caliper or something was loose, but I couldn't find anything.

I think the problem is either gearbox, or clutch issue.

Any advice is appreciated, as this is my first bike, Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a rattle just on hard bumps ,but think it is the plasti-chrome on top of tank

·
Registered
217 Posts
Has anyone experienced a rattling noise coming from the left front, left gear shift area? It's very hard for me to tell whats going on because the noise only happens over 30 MPH. It seems to be louder when de-accelerating, the noise seems to less when I pull in the clutch.

At first I thought rattling noise was coming from the left bushing of the wheel, brake caliper or something was loose, but I couldn't find anything.

Spock you will not believe this but I had a similar problem and took the the key ring off the key and went for a ride and a good part of that rattle was gone. The vibration went through the frame. Give it a try.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Had a rattle similar to that and it was the front pulley nut that came loose. The washer would make a rattle sound on the output shaft. Only takes about 20 minutes to check by pulling covers off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Advice!

Thanks guys for all of the advice!
Xcbulllet, I checked the plastic chrome cover and thats not the problem
How do you like your Vance and Hines pipes? Did you get a power pack, fuel controler?

Mdsimon80, I hope that it's just a loose key ring banging around, I will test it tonight when I get home.

Bluecruiser, I will take the cover off and check the pulley nut

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
removing keyring didn't resolve the problem

Removing the keyring didn't resolve the rattling noise, "darn". I will remove the transmision cover this weekend and see if anything is loose.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2014
95 Posts

Same here, brand new bike, put 1800km (1100 miles) then the gear change became really noisy & this damn rattle..!? Love my bike, but :confused:

·
Registered
343 Posts
For me they are the best pipes,just the right tone & loudness, its the most I would want.I have the PC3, but you can run the pipes with out it if you check the plugs but it does run better with it. Just got a K&N filter in the stock opened up box & it seem to just bring it all together nicely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sounds the same as mine

Gear/chain rattle sound? 1999 nomad 1500, daily driver @ 100 miles per day. 101K miles and runs great. Have added timing chain extenders, clutch works great and shifts and stays in gear every time, BUT when clutch is pulled I hear a gear / chain rattle when in motion / coasting. This will appear in any gear and will do it when shifting or coasting. Sounds like it may be coming from the front side of engine and more so on front left, but wind and motor noise may be throwing me off on location!!!! Plus I also get this sound for an instant when I let off the throttle at decel of motor. I have a small vibration, but think it may be my drive shaft u-joint. Give any thoughts. Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
did you put an aftermarket oversized pulley on the front drive shaft?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts