Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so here we go.. it's a 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 at idle there is no rattle and I can Rev it out of gear and it sounds great no rattle. I can put it in gear with the clutch in and rev it still no rattle. But slowly going up a hill in first or taking off in first when clutch is just starting to engage I start hearing a rattle coming from the stator side cover. So with it gear while releasing clutch put my hand on the clutch cover and I did not feel anything. Doing the same put my hand on the stator cover and I can feel the rattle through the stator cover. It doesn't do it while regular riding only seems like in first gear during take off or going up my driveway which is a hill. Seems like a clunky rattle.

I just bought this bike only had it a week and I put 20 50 weight Valvoline motorcycle oil in it could this be the problem or am I looking at something else. If it is possibly something else what could it be so I know what to look for?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Okay so here we go.. it's a 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 at idle there is no rattle and I can Rev it out of gear and it sounds great no rattle. I can put it in gear with the clutch in and rev it still no rattle. But slowly going up a hill in first or taking off in first when clutch is just starting to engage I start hearing a rattle coming from the stator side cover. So with it gear while releasing clutch put my hand on the clutch cover and I did not feel anything. Doing the same put my hand on the stator cover and I can feel the rattle through the stator cover. It doesn't do it while regular riding only seems like in first gear during take off or going up my driveway which is a hill. Seems like a clunky rattle.

I just bought this bike only had it a week and I put 20 50 weight Valvoline motorcycle oil in it could this be the problem or am I looking at something else. If it is possibly something else what could it be so I know what to look for?
Take off Stator cover and see if the Rotor is hitting (by witness marks) on your 20+ year old bike.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cam chains usually make some noise at idle and quiet down when you rev it. Fresh oil will quiet things down some, the older the oil is the more it wears out! A couple thousand miles on car oils is about it. I use Rotella T or Delvac 1300 dino oil in my bikes and cars and change at 2k miles in the bikes new filter every other change. You can always go to 20-50 oil if the engine has lots of miles. I experimented with Rotella synthetic in the cars and bikes all were noisier? So ever since is back to good old Rotella T!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts