Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I want to figure out where this rattle I have is coming from. It is a metal rattle that is random when climbing speed with half throttle. Its like a nut in a metal cup sound. Not consistent to anything and doesn't happen when parked and rev'ing the engine. my exhaust is tight and it doesn't have the stock headlight as some have said in searches I have done. I haven't replaced the chain on this one yet but it seems tight with about an 1" of play, so I am not thinking chain slap. If anyone has any ideas or has experienced this with theirs, any help would be appreciated.

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Make sure nothing is rattling around inside your headlight bucket, pipe heat shields are tight, windshield and fender bolts are all tight and there are no NUTS IN YOUR CUP! Isn't that why you wear a cup though?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. How many miles on it?
2. Where is the rattle coming from?
3. Did it just appear one day or get worse over time?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rattle sounds like it may be coming from the mid section maybe engine area but who knows exactly when you are moving down the road. The bike has 8000 miles or so and seems like the sound has stayed consistent. Below is a picture of the bike for reference.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Have you checked your chain recently? If there's too much play you'll get a rattling sound. Also, check the headlight it will make a rattling sound as wind goes through. I would defer to Saifar he has the most insight.

Ron

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The chain hasn't been replaced by me yet but I do check it and it has about and 1" of play. I just put this head light on an everything is seemingly tight with no rattle when i move the wires around.

The sound at times seems like its coming from the lower part of the bike so I have put pressure on the shift lever but still hear it. I may not be putting enough pressure on it to stop the rattle or it could be coming from the shift linkage itself.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
At times, the damper rubbers on the counter balancer will give trouble and cause a rattling sound. You will hear it down by your left foot under the side cover if that is the case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At times, the damper rubbers on the counter balancer will give trouble and cause a rattling sound. You will hear it down by your left foot under the side cover if that is the case.
So this would be happening inside the engine? Is there a fix for this or is this not a big deal and just some annoying sound I am going to have to deal with? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Yes, it is inside the engine, under left side cover.
Yes, it has to be repaired.
This is why the noise has to be verified to be coming from that area. Do not want to do if not needed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same Problem

I have what I suspected to be chain slap type rattle coming from the lower left side of my bike, and yes it did kinda sound like up front, but as the previous poster said , de-baffled Exhaust, 1/2 shell helmet and no windscreen, so hard to tell exactly where it came from, I wire tied every conceivable cable and wire the frame and inside the headlight, replaced and all screws and bolts that looked rough with either SS or Zinc coated, shiny now, also replaced the chain with a new one along with sprocket at same time, rattle still there, only happens if I hit a moderate to large size bump in road or under a moderate load on highway usually climbing grade under moderate throttle, that's why I was blaming the chain which now has 1" play at center of chain length between sprockets at it stiffest point and is cleaned and lubed to the 9's, so now I know it isn't chain.

HMMM counter balance rubbers, that sounds like a big job, O-Well is there any way to verify other than pulling cover? Can you provide details for this repair?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Searched for counter balance rubbers, dampeners, in the 800 section and got nothing, that's why I asked, actually 1 post came up but it was totally unrelated something to do with the clutch.

Just did a search in "all open forums" from home page for "Counter Balance Rubbers" and guess what this thread is the only one that came up, any suggestions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts