Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1989 Vulcan VN1500 rat. Still a work in progress like any rat. These pics were taken while I was still working on the bike. This bike is basically held together with JB Weld and zipties and repaired with the cheapest parts available.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I get the budget thing. I've been Ramen & Saltine poor.

Really hope you don't cheap out on the brakes or tires. I can't tell from the pics, but SERIOUSLY; if those things aren't up to snuff you're going to pay a lot more than they'd cost in a hospital bill.

So, check the fluid and make sure it's clear, check the lines and make sure they're not cracked or bulging then check your tires and make sure they're not over 5 or so years old.
Not trying to be a prick, but that stuff is a minumum.

BTW, that saddle horn looks like it might rip your twig & berries right off.

Scott

PS: Welcome in and post more pics as she comes along.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Kingston riders in Jamaica back in the 70’s rode Dunlop 88’s damn near bald. If there was any tread showin, still life left!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The Kingston riders in Jamaica back in the 70’s rode Dunlop 88’s damn near bald. If there was any tread showin, still life left!
As long as the rubber is still soft and pliable; and you're not riding on wet roads, you can ride it down to (not past) the threads.
Problem is they wear REAL fast when you get that far. So, a tire can go from just bald to dangerous in a couple hundred miles.

The real danger is in old tires. They look fine, for the most part. But will NOT provide good friction for emergency stopping. So, if you don't practice hard braking often; then the only time you'll know the tires have hardened is when you're already sliding.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Love the bike man!

It's not for me tho', as I am a shiny chrome and polish kinda guy. Your bike would consume me! I could never rest until it was very shiny and pretty.

Ride safe out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts