Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Vulcan Classic developed an odd and intermittent rapid right turn signal about a year ago. It was hard to troubleshoot because it wasnt consistent. Left signal was normal, and all 4 lamps flashed, but the right hand signal flashed super fast about 75% of the time. Then it was normal for a while and the opposite side started acting up same way. About 2 months ago BOTH sides rapid blink & at some point in past month they stopped flashing altogether. Pulled all the bulbs & cleaned sockets & bulbs (although they appeared corrodson free with good elements in bulbs). Then I checked fuses. Turn sig fuse blown. Replaced it. Fast blinkers all around. Blew fuse within 15 min. I mostly work on my own stuff but this has me puzzled (especially the way it changed sides then became both sides!!). Any suggestions? Frustrated in KC!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
When the turn signals flash quick, do you check if all the bulbs were working? If all are working and flashing fast, probably a bad flasher (relay). With my 09, my right side turn signal was flashing fast. Turned out to be a bad ground circuit on the right rear turn signal bulb socket.
Blown fuse means a short circuit on the power feed to one of the bulbs. First, I would inspect the turn signal wiring harnesses around the Steering Stem to see if the harness rubbed through. Other than that, inspect the rest or the turn signal harnesses to see if they were pinched or rubbed through somewhere. If the fuse blows so quickly (15 minutes), you could try disconnecting the turn signal harness one at a time and take it for a ride to help isolate the problem.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
This sounds like wire chaffing. The blown fuse suggests a shorted power wire to ground. It also sounds like it's intermittent, which can be difficult to troubleshoot. Prior to any testing you should inspect all connections associated with the turn signal system. They should be clean (no corrosion) and tight. Inspect the bulb sockets very closely as well.

If you have a meter set it to the resistance setting. Check to see if your power wires are shorted to ground. Place one lead on the power wire and the other to a good frame ground. There should be no continuity. While leaving the leads connected move/wiggle wire harnesses. Sometimes this can lead you right to where the chaffing is at. Inspect harnesses closely! Use a flashlight and magnifying glass. Look for chaffing to metal/frame and chaffing within the harness itself.

Keep in mind that if the power wire your testing isn't isolated you could read right through a device to ground which will give you a false indication. To isolate these particular power wires simply remove the bulbs. You should also disconnect the turn signal relay for this test (however, the relay only controls power).

You stated that it jumped to the other side. The short could be in the harness where both power wires (gray left and green right) are chaffed and shorting or this problem could be in the Turn Signal Switch itself. This switch and the relay are common to both sides and are very suspect due to the common association. However, I don't think the relay is shorted as the problem would most likely have showed up on both sides from the start. The relay itself could still be bad though.

If none of this works, check your ground connections associated with the turn signal system to make sure they are solid. A loose connection that jiggles/vibrates can act like a switch going on and off rapidly.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew. Thank you for such detailed replies! This looks like it may be a tough project but I will start looking within a couple days. Thanks SO MUCH!! (I love & hate electricity!! Lol)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just had this. Seems the wire cable from my lights got loose and caught in the fork. During turns, I'd unknowingly pull it a bit more. Likely wires are frayed. For now, I've adjusted the wire and tried to hold it down a bit more without it losing the ability to go with turns. Shop guy said if it keeps happening and I pull and fray the wires more, I may have to replace the signal housing. Now added to TCLOCK routine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts