Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of using the louverred section on the right side of the bike meant for the driving lights and some pvc or aluminum to make a ram air, direct the air from the front of the bike into the tornado air kit....also thinking of using the clutch side to route air to my legs or into the radiator

thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bevor du da anfängst was zu basteln erkundige dich über strömungstechnik. Ich wollte so etwas an meiner 1000er Versys machen. Habe mich dann mal im netz erkundigt und dann sein gelassen. Weil wenn du es falsch machst geht der schuß nach hinten los.

Before you start to tinker because what you inquire about strömungstechnik. I wanted to do something on my 1000 Versys. I just then once inquired on the net and then allowed to be. Because if you're doing it wrong is the shot backfired.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
In my experience with ram air sportbikes and having designed my own ram air systems to convert CBR900'S to ram air I have learned ALOT.

First off the entire intake system must be able to feed enuff air at the lower vehicle speeds as a ram air system does not deliver "rammed air" until vehicle speed is high enuff to increase air flow into the intake system.

Most important is the need for an air reservoir which is actually called a plenum chamber. With the tornado kit the "world" is the plenum chamber, extending the intake to the front louver will increase it's length and restriction, thus requiring higher vehicle speeds to achieve a boost condition in the intake.

Tubing size used would have to be very large and ultimately you may only achieve a good "fresh air" system, the amount of "boost" may be minimal and only experienced at higher road speeds.

Believe me I have been thinking of doin a ram air...for a long time, but I think new shocks are next on the agenda.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my experience with ram air sportbikes and having designed my own ram air systems to convert CBR900'S to ram air I have learned ALOT.

First off the entire intake system must be able to feed enuff air at the lower vehicle speeds as a ram air system does not deliver "rammed air" until vehicle speed is high enuff to increase air flow into the intake system.

Most important is the need for an air reservoir which is actually called a plenum chamber. With the tornado kit the "world" is the plenum chamber, extending the intake to the front louver will increase it's length and restriction, thus requiring higher vehicle speeds to achieve a boost condition in the intake.

Tubing size used would have to be very large and ultimately you may only achieve a good "fresh air" system, the amount of "boost" may be minimal and only experienced at higher road speeds.

Believe me I have been thinking of doin a ram air...for a long time, but I think new shocks are next on the agenda.

RACNRAY
so Ray, I know you made some mods to your lower fairing in the name of getting better "fresh" air....what do you think about totally removing the lowers? I know you have had yours off, how did the bike look? You think the radiator would still do its job. worst case there is no improvement in coolant temp, but my air cleaner will get more fresh air and my legs will have more air and less heat from motor

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
so Ray, I know you made some mods to your lower fairing in the name of getting better "fresh" air....what do you think about totally removing the lowers? I know you have had yours off, how did the bike look? You think the radiator would still do its job. worst case there is no improvement in coolant temp, but my air cleaner will get more fresh air and my legs will have more air and less heat from motor
I never rode with my lowers off...might be a good idea to try it

You go first:D

RACNRAY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts