Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the geometry of the rear shock, do you think there is a way to raise the height of the vulcan?
Thanks for your thoughts
Blake

·
Registered
656 Posts
I saw on ebay that you can buy replacement rear suspension struts otherwise known as Dog Bones that can raise the ride height by changing the length of the strut.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you want to?
I am interested in raising the ground clearance. I realize that the bike will never be a dirt bike, but I am looking to make it slightly more able to handle dirt roads and fire roads. I know that the biggest change I can make would be tires, but I am wondering about other geometry that would help raise the bike.

I saw on ebay that you can buy replacement rear suspension struts otherwise known as Dog Bones that can raise the ride height by changing the length of the strut.
Thanks, I didn't know about this. I did little searching and found some lowering kits for other kawasaki bikes that would probably work to lower the ride, but I am not having luck finding any dogbones that are short and would raise it. an inch shorter might make an impact when combines with other things(tires, exhaust).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am interested in raising the ground clearance. I realize that the bike will never be a dirt bike, but I am looking to make it slightly more able to handle dirt roads and fire roads. I know that the biggest change I can make would be tires, but I am wondering about other geometry that would help raise the bike.

Thanks, I didn't know about this. I did little searching and found some lowering kits for other kawasaki bikes that would probably work to lower the ride, but I am not having luck finding any dogbones that are short and would raise it. an inch shorter might make an impact when combines with other things(tires, exhaust).
Did you find a way to raise your S650?

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
There is always that one guy...
You mean one guy that is smart enough to say " get the motorcycle for the road you are gonna ride:"
Yes I am proud to say that I would not daily ride a motorcycle that is not suited for the terrain. Over 50 years of riding and at least that may scooters have taught me that, and the Versys is essentially the same bike in a semi adventure package. So yea there is always that one guy willing to piss some people off by giving his best recommendations based on experience Have a lovely day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You mean one guy that is smart enough to say " get the motorcycle for the road you are gonna ride:"
No, not that guy. The guy who goes into a specifically defined topic of conversation with a completely useless, pointless and unrelated bright ideas.
No shit Sherlock, ride the bike for the terrain it was meant for. Thanks for the advice captain obvious.

1. Nobody asked what bike should I be riding for bad terrain. Your "clever" advice was not only off-topic but also did not contribute to it in any way, shape or form. Just to remind you, this topic is about "Raising the Vulcan". Not "recommend me a bike with high ground clearance". That is first of all.

2. Second, some people like to tinker and modify their bikes for their own pleasure and joy. Customizing our bikes is part of what makes riding them fun. These customizations don't have to make sense to you. They have to make sense to the customizer and "I felt like it" is a good enough reason.

3. Last but not least, I love my Vulcan, its a great bike and I bought it to ride it on the terrain it was meant for - paved roads. I know this might come as a shock to your ignorant ass, but not everyone lives in the US where roads are made of flawless and pristine tarmac all the way through. I live in Thailand where roads are mostly ok, but since its a tropical country, monsoon weather can cause flooding. This, as you can imagine (can you?), means that there are some potholes here and there. I avoid these kind of roads when possible but it's not always possible. What is even worse, the speedbumps in this country have no regulation, so whoever throws them on does so at their own discretion. This means most speedbumps are more like low-walls because in classic Thai fashion, why do something twice if you can do it once but bigger. Everyone knows double-sized speed-bumps take twice as long to be worn out, right? This does mean I get to belly-scrape over these obstacles quite often and am interested in raising my Vulcan for that very reason.

So to summarize. Does Versys have better ground clearance than Vulcan? Yes. Did anyone ask if it does? No. Your "advice" was about as useful as a condom in a church. Feel free to keep yourself and your experience out of this topic if you have nothing to contribute. Cheers. Hope you have a lovely day too.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
It's always so refreshing to hear from young inexperienced riders. They managed to bring a unique perspective. And so much energy.
That said facts are facts you're trying to ride the wrong machine for the terrain. Try choosing the right motorcycle for the ride you'll be much happier you have so much anger. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I am proud to say that I would not daily ride a motorcycle that is not suited for the terrain. Over 50 years of riding and at least that may scooters have taught me that, and the Versys is essentially the same bike in a semi adventure package. So yea there is always that one guy willing to piss some people off by giving his best recommendations based on experience Have a lovely day.
except raising the vulcan s has other benefits... like easier trailer loading.and less speed bump anxiety of whether your gonna drag muffler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
except raising the vulcan s has other benefits... like easier trailer loading.and less speed bump anxiety of whether your gonna drag muffler.

"Speed Bump Anxiety" I gotta steal that term. :) That perfectly describes my daily commute.

P.S. Careful with your young buck energy and radical thoughts of (lord save us all) modifying our bikes (GASP)! That sort of thing gets the "experienced know-it-alls" to crawl out of the woodwork.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could this make it possible to change the rear shock/coil spring to allow more suspension travel? That is a big complaint about the rear suspension. It bottoms out too quickly and jumps you out of the seat over big bumps. I wonder if someone makes the replacement rear shock/coil spring. Hmmm...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The description on this sounds very appealing. Has anyone tried this?
The price being as low as it is, I am real tempted. I think the creators of the lift were interested in changing geometry of the bike, particularly the rake of the front forks. I dont' have a lot of desire to change the rake, the bike is already flick-able enough for me.
I wonder how much the exhaust height would change with the new linkage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think the answer to buy another bike is a little disingenuous. The vulcan has features that the Versys does not. A more comfortable riding position, lower seat height, etc. Unless you are riding off road, the Versys may not be a "better" choice. I like the "bones" idea and may look into the availability here in the states. A slightly higher ground clearance would cure the only defect I have found. Of course after 60 years of riding motorcycles nearly a million miles I have no clue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I contacted the German company that offers the jack up kit. All I got back was an email stating that shipping is very expensive. No other information. Perhaps some American company will come up with the idea?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I contacted the German company that offers the jack up kit. All I got back was an email stating that shipping is very expensive. No other information. Perhaps some American company will come up with the idea?
What's odd is that shipping is already listed on the product page. 20 euros isn't cheap, but it is only $22 at this point

1 - 20 of 23 Posts