Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my height is in my torso which means the handlebars seem just a little too short for me.

I would like to raise them slightly. Even an inch or two should work (not looking for ape hangers, lol).

After moving the bars side to side and seeing just how close everything is when at full tilt I don't know if it's possible without either new bars or heavy mods. I thought of machining a tall handlebar clamp.

The other issue that I would not like is that the hands are already exposed behind the cowl, this would only make more of the arm/elbow exposed to wind/rain, etc. I wish the cowl on these actually protected the hands - that's one of my few complaints about this bike. Anyway, I did a search for raised bars in this forum and didn't find anything.

Has anyone done this? If so, can you share some pics and your opinion?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
There are risers that bring them up and back. I think its Barrons....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Joe "Chuckster" Norris makes risers to fit the Voyager, they'll give you a 1 3/4" rise, and 1 1/4" pullback, chrome plated rather than the polished billet of his others... I have a set and they're perfect. You can contact him via http://www.chucksterscustoms.com/

Your other option is a set of Scootworks 1XV risers to gain about the same height for more money... But you take your chances in sending them any money in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I used the scootworks risers (if you go to their website, it will direct you to the right ones). Maybe 2" higher and 1/2" closer to you. Changed my position enough to take the pressure off my lower back and I didn't have to change any cabling.

Not technically difficult to install (I had help from TS Tinker), but you'll need some long socket extensions and a lot of patience, easier if you use a jack.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I placed risers on my Voyager this summer and think they are fantastic. 10-4 on the long socket wrench extensions. In my case it took two people, one below the fearing and one by the handle bars to guide the socket to the nut.

I do not remember the web site I ordered from, but they are fantastic. No more neck and back pain beyond what normally would occur doing 500 miles or more in one day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Joe "Chuckster" Norris makes risers to fit the Voyager, they'll give you a 1 3/4" rise, and 1 1/4" pullback, chrome plated rather than the polished billet of his others... I have a set and they're perfect. You can contact him via http://www.chucksterscustoms.com/

Your other option is a set of Scootworks 1XV risers to gain about the same height for more money... But you take your chances in sending them any money in my opinion.
I have Chuckster's risers on my Voyager and think they are a definite improvement. Besides the added comfort for a tall guy they seem to keep the hands in the bike's slipstream a bit better and reduce the wind chill and rain exposure.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Sometimes I push the bars up closer to the fairing and sometimes I have them low and towards me. Maybe I should try risers sometime.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just put a set of Phatrisers on my Voyager, cost was $117.95, bought from Value Accessories. These risers raised the handle bars by 2" and back by 2". They easy to install, no mods to the cables or wires. Will have to update in a couple of months on how I like them. So far by just sitting on the bike in my garage I know I'll like them.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I use Chucksters on my 2011 Vaquero, they sure fit nicely and provide me with more riding comfort. I went with the satin black ones to match my Vaquero.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up a set of Scootworks Phatrisers 1X 2" ($36 on Ebay, used). Doing some fitting now. I have the entire front end removed from the bike from the triple-tree forward so this is easy to get to and test fit right now.

I mounted and just snugged up the bolts/nuts and when I turn lock-to-lock the brake hoses are definitely being strained. I am making a custom clamp for them so I wanted to get them measured up as well.

Looks like I will be removing the top clamp of the triple tree in order to move the brake hoses to the tank side.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
One potential negative to raising the handlebars for those that ride in cool weather. In the stock position the fairing protects your hands from the wind. If you raise them, or pish them forward you will expose your hands to the wind. Obviously, this is a plus in the Summer, but a negative when it is cold.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have also put a set of Scootworks on, and they do bring the bars way back, more than any other risers I've installed, however; it has not been an easy installation. The ad states, "use your original cables". The instructions that come with the risers state you may have to run the cables behind the top of the triple tree. Running the clutch cable behind the triple tree work for it, however the brake cable wasn't going to work. I called customer service who stated the cables varied from year to year. Apparently I have really short ones, but if you have the same length, there not going to fit without modifications to the cables. I had to find a shop 50 miles away that could lengthen the brake cable 3 1/2 inches. Might have been able to get away with 2 1/2, but better safe than sorry. Planning on lengthening the clutch cable also so they match. It was an additional $50 to lengthen the brake cable. I'm sure the clutch cable with be the same. So the $117 risers have now costed $167. By the time I lengthen the clutch cable I'll be way over the $200 dollar mark not to mention all the drive time. Food for thought if your looking at Scootworks.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did a fit-up of the risers. They seem REALLY tall. I am considering machining them to be a little shorter. I was looking for about 2" but I think they are closer to 2.5-3". When I remove the bars to install the new clamp, I will remove one of them and reinstall one of the original risers to try to get a measurement on the difference.

I WILL have to move my brake hoses (though I think the wires and cables will be fine). They are way strained when turned to locks on either side. Once I finish my quad (should be this weekend), I can get that jack up under the VV and get that finished.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just go to a surgeon an ask if he can sew on a second forearm and an extra elbow on each of your arms. Kawasaki engineers were all born this way. Hence the handlebar design of all there bikes..... just kidding

There are plenty of options for these bikes thought. I found a design that looks perfect. They clamp into the existing risers like a handlebar would and then your hsndle bars clamp to them, giving you two pivot points for endless adjustments. I just can't remember where I saw them.

I'll search my histiry and get that infor for you as soon as possible. They were not cheap. Like 210.00 but it's not a one shot deal like a fixed riser. If you still don't like the position after you get 200 miles up the road you just loosen and readjust. I'm ordering a set myself as soon as I find them again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I found them

If you go to cruisercustomizing.com they have whats called Rox Speed FX Pivot Risers. Rox-4r-p2cc02 is the part number. They are sold in 2,3,and 4 inch. Also come in black or chrome and running 150.00 - 200.00 depending on what size you get. Good luck to ya.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know yet if the riser height will work but I finished my custom designed CNC'd handlebar clamp!!

Just finished polishing it up!! Looks and functionality as the 1/4-20 tap in the center is to accept a 1" RAM ball mount so I can mount my phone there!!

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice job on the clamp.
Thanks!! I bought these risers on the cheap on eBay and after the clamp was polished they looked like crap so I wet sanded and polished them.

After and before pic...

All the parts assembled. These were hand-polished. The match up pretty well, you'd never know they didn't come this was from Skootwerks.

I now have on the bike and they look almost like chrome. They still look pretty high, though!! I'll know pretty soon if they work and if not, I will pull them back off and machine them down some!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I ordered a set of Scootworks PhatRisers 1XV for the voyager. Had a set on the 900 and liked them. Got fast service received then in 4 days, but will have to see how there return policy is. After installing them no mater how I positioned the bars they hit the faring. Were't on the bike more than ten minutes. Web page says there's a 25% restocking fee and if that's the case I'll join the people that say don't by from Scootworks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts