Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall..........2nd thread since joing this very awesome forum, learned so much as i aspire to my new 900 purchase.....

I have sat on used and new vulcans and is it me but i feel the stock handle bars are little on the side, alighed with my stomach and i want it more higher to be aligned with my chest bone, does that make sense, I am 5'11??

the dealer said they would raise them free of charge new or used, but the used bikes, i would have to do it myself....what would that entail as far as labor, is it a DIY????? and how FAR do the handle bars go up, i think i would need at least 3 inches extra and in travel height????

II.
I 've been reading helpul posts and have noticed riders complaining about the stock head light shaking alot.
the other day i said someone riding a 1200 sportser, and he had 'elastic strap around the bulb', thin but apparent, in a X pattern that probably was trying to keep his headlight from shaking up and down...........does anybody know how that works and if its effecient, cost, and installation?????/

Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2009 custom. I felt like my bars were a touch low, but I didn't want them to rise above my fairing. I put 2 inch risers under the bars, and it helped significantly. Didn't have to do anything with my cables other than remove the brackets they ran through.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you sir
so you can only put risers to raise it a few inches? and if so, does the dealer put them on for free b/c you are a not satisfied with the bar height?

please confirm, that you can only raise the bar by putting 2-3 inch risers on, b/c I thout you can losen handle bar screws and raise them up a bit???? anyone else can add??

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can adjust the handlebars by loosening the screws but the angle on your grips will also change so there's only so much you can do there. I actually have The handlebars off a custom on my classic 900 apparently the prior owner didn't like the stock bars either. I love them. I'm not sure if they were off an older machine, because unlike the newest customs the handle bar is not shiny chrome. It's more of a matte finish but not black. I kinda like that so I don't get blinded while I'm driving. I still have enough shiny bits on the handlebars to make it look nice anyway. :)

Here is a pic to show you. It is IMHO the best of both worlds in form and function for these bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
Using stock risers, you can swap the stock bar for 10" mini apes without lengthening cables. The stock bar on the Classics/LT's is fine except for lock to lock. Then the bar hits my knees. My ride came with pull back risers for the 10" mini ape. This might work for a shorter person, but not a tall guy like myself. I went to a shorter riser with the idea of getting a 12" ape hanger later. Bike came with extended cables; so, I could put a 13 or 14 inch bar on.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
hey yall..........2nd thread since joing this very awesome forum, learned so much as i aspire to my new 900 purchase.....

I have sat on used and new vulcans and is it me but i feel the stock handle bars are little on the side, alighed with my stomach and i want it more higher to be aligned with my chest bone, does that make sense, I am 5'11??

the dealer said they would raise them free of charge new or used, but the used bikes, i would have to do it myself....what would that entail as far as labor, is it a DIY????? and how FAR do the handle bars go up, i think i would need at least 3 inches extra and in travel height????

II.
I 've been reading helpul posts and have noticed riders complaining about the stock head light shaking alot.
the other day i said someone riding a 1200 sportser, and he had 'elastic strap around the bulb', thin but apparent, in a X pattern that probably was trying to keep his headlight from shaking up and down...........does anybody know how that works and if its effecient, cost, and installation?????/

Thank you!!!!
thank you sir
so you can only put risers to raise it a few inches? and if so, does the dealer put them on for free b/c you are a not satisfied with the bar height?

please confirm, that you can only raise the bar by putting 2-3 inch risers on, b/c I thout you can losen handle bar screws and raise them up a bit???? anyone else can add??

It depends on which 900 you have. If you have the Classic/LT then you can loosen the clamp and "rotate" the handle bars up a little to your liking. If you have the Custom they are solid mounted to the triple tree and will need spacers.

Handlebar Riser Extensions Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom | eBay

btw 900 Custom also works for the Meanstreak (same handlebars and tail light)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Liondog,
Not sure if you are still looking for risers, but one of the first things I did is add the Scootworks 4/1 risers. They have a 4 inch vertical and 1 inch backwards change. I love them. I had to pull the headlight off to re-run the wires, but other than that, no other modifications. I am 5'10", and the risers allow me to ride fully upright, and the pain in my back / shoulders disappeared immediately.

Here is the link.
Scootworks - Kawasaki Handlebar Risers, PhatRisers, Riser Extensions, & Riser Accessories

1 - 7 of 7 Posts