Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Not new to this forum however i just bought a 900 today (now i have to find a new home for my 500) My question is this:

The guy i bought my bike from had the back lowered, as he always rode it by himself. However, my fiance loves to ride, but the clearence just isnt there being that it is lowered. I want to raise it back up to stock level, but i dont want to mess up my new bike. Im pretty handy with a wrench so i believe i can do it myself with some direction.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am guessing you don't know what type of lowering link he used. I will try to explain what you need to look for. The first easiest thing to look at and try is the shock setting. Take a look and see if the setting is set to 6 or 7, if set to low then it will bottom out when riding two up. If that doesn't help, you will need to look under the bike and try and figure out type of linkage is used. Here is a diagram of the rear suspension:

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/50/Year/2009/ModelID/8475/Model/Vulcan_900_Custom_(VN900-C9F)/GroupID/407286/Group/Suspension_Shock_Absorber

You need to look at number 39111 ROD-TIE,SUSPENSION. It will be about mid point of your bike and most likely I believe the lowest point down there. If you have a Britt Kit then it will look like the one on this site:
http://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=213183

If thats the case, it's just a matter of removing the bolt, raising the bike, and reinstalling the bolt. And your back to stock hieght. If it is the LA Choppers:
http://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=219415
then you can only go up to the one inch lowered position. You can try asking the previous owner if he has the stock linkage. I know I kept mine just incase I may need it.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
If he used a lowering link you may not get back to the stock height. Me being a nice guy and passing thru oklahoma weekly, I have a stocker that I can give you.. let me know.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey guys,

Not new to this forum however i just bought a 900 today (now i have to find a new home for my 500) My question is this:

The guy i bought my bike from had the back lowered, as he always rode it by himself. However, my fiance loves to ride, but the clearence just isnt there being that it is lowered. I want to raise it back up to stock level, but i dont want to mess up my new bike. Im pretty handy with a wrench so i believe i can do it myself with some direction.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
I might be interested in your lowering bracket if you wish to sell it! Just PM me!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I might be interested in your lowering bracket if you wish to:) sell it! Just PM me!
Im on the road till friday the 6th, I will pm you then, the price is free .. btw, I run the I44 /suicide 40 just about every wee(;

Cheers maurice

·
Registered
123 Posts
Im on the road till friday the 6th, I will pm you then, the price is free .. btw, I run the I44 /suicide 40 just about every wee(;

Cheers maurice
Wow, thank you! Just PM me! -Kyle

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Whiting - Just my observation: I think 68nova is looking for a lowering link (perhaps the one that the OP will have when all is done), while the OP was looking for the stock link you were offering to get his bike back to stock height.

If not, then hopefully my post will cause some folks to clarify... :D

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Whiting - Just my observation: I think 68nova is looking for a lowering link (perhaps the one that the OP will have when all is done), while the OP was looking for the stock link you were offering to get his bike back to stock height.

If not, then hopefully my post will cause some folks to clarify... :D
while the OP was looking for the stock link
I have the stock link. He is trying to raise his bike as the bike is bottoming out with the existing lowering link that came with his previously enjoyed ride.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Exactly, I'm just interested in a lowering link!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I got ya ... its was nuvulcan that I was offering the stocker to... wattad I do, pm the wrong guy ..:eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info. I believe my bike is actually equipped with the scootworks lowering kit. It is lowered 2 inches right now, tomorrow i am going to try and bump it up to 1 inch and see if that makes a difference. Has anyone had a problem with your spring losing its charge? I think it would be rare that this is the case, however i am amazed by how easily the bike bottoms out over small bumps/potholes considering we are not pushing the weight limit for the bike either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright last question on this, with anyone familiar with raising/lowering your bike. I did raise the bike as anticipated on saturday, however now the belt is squeeling a bit. Its not squeeking or anything so obnoxious but it is certainly new to the bike. It did not make the sound before i raised the bike up, i just went from 2 inches to 1 inch. Anybody run into this problem?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Did you adjust the belt to the correct tensions....

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Nu2vulcan ... I'm headed to Vancouver bc this week, I have it in the truck for when we run thru oky city ... I will pm you when I go that way
cheers maurice..i

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
O boy. Now i feel like i have egg on my face. I read up as much as i could on raising it but there wasnt a whol hell of a lot to be found. Where can i find those specs? Is there a write up on it so i can fix it?

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts