Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Rainy ride and post bike care

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dan20164 
#1 ·
Got caught out in a thunder storm yesterday and had to ride about 30 miles in the rain. Anything in particular I should be doing to prevent rust, etc following a thorough soaking? I took the suggestion from another post about using a leaf blower to get everything as dry as possible and used some cleaner to get the grime off of the shinny bits of the bike, but anything else i should worry about?

Also, I'm pretty short and have to look through the windshield when riding (adjusted to lowest setting already). Add to that my full face helmet and I was trying to see through two plastic surfaces coated with water. Has anyone used rain-x or a similar product on their face shield or wind shield to help the water flow off when riding?

Thanks, this forum has been invaluable!!

#2 ·
NEVER use rainX on a bike windshield. It will cause crazing of the lexan. Depending on what your face shield is made of you can, but I would not risk it.
My wife is a little short for her windshield also, I found a product called S100 that I spray on(lots of shops give away small 1 ounce samples in a pump bottle) and lightly wip back off. I use Protect-All for the initial cleaning, then spray S100 on. It will sheet the water off better than anything else I have used so far. Been spraying this on only as necessary and 2 bottles have lasted me near a year so far. Worked great on her faceshield too. I'm tall enough my faceshield is in the wind if I sit up straight so I really don't need it.

#3 ·
I use a leafblower on my bike and my car. After I wash my car or bike I take the leaf blower to it to dry it off, then I take a microfiber towel and wipe off as much as I can that might have been left behind.

#5 ·
After seeing the responses to my recharge problem post I'll add something here. My electrical trouble seemed to start a couple days after I rode home in a steady downpour. During my testing of the electrical components I found the the regulator plug full of water. I'm wondering now if that could have triggered the alternator failure. If I ever get an answer from the 'professionals' I'll let you know.

#6 ·
Got caught out in a thunder storm .. Has anyone used rain-x or a similar product on their face shield or wind shield to help the water flow off when riding?

Thanks, this forum has been invaluable!!
lemon pledge will make the water bead straight off your visor or sheild

#7 ·
regular plain pledge works equally as well. Lemon Pledge draws bees. As stupid as this sounds, it does. I used lemon pledge on the front of my Venture several times because it was all I had, I noticed the bees were swarming my bike when we stopped. Stopped using it and they stopped swarming me.
My wife has a Yellow riding jacket with black accent patches, they like her pretty well now too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.