Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 3 months I had looked foward to this weekend. This was going to be the weekend to make up for all of those weekends in class or working on my studies this past Spring. The bike was going to get its first bona fide road trip to Austin and the Hill Country. This was my carrot to get me through those 9 doctoral hours from hell and working three days of commencement during some good riding weather. But the weather had other plans for me, and the carrot has drowned. That said, I am a native Texan, and no matter what, you never complain about rain in Texas. So I won't.

But, damn.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
We've had nothing BUT rain up here. Yuck!

So are you doing post-grad work right now? What in?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
So go anyway. Short of a torrential downpour...... granted it's more enjoyable to ride when it's 72 and dry, but what if you were out there and it rained? Would you immediately just go to a motel/hotel?
Not passing judgment, jus sayn.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
So go anyway. Short of a torrential downpour...... granted it's more enjoyable to ride when it's 72 and dry, but what if you were out there and it rained? Would you immediately just go to a motel/hotel?
Not passing judgment, jus sayn.
Everyone has their own comfort level. If it was a lot of rain I probably wouldn't go either. I've been in the torrential downpours, hail, lightning, you name it on a trip. But it's really not all that enjoyable, and I don't think I'd ride either unless I had a really good reason.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Romans - doctorate in Higher Ed admin.

Dean - the forecast is solid rain all weekend. If it was just scattered showers, plans would still be on. Saturday & Sunday are supposed to be toad soakers...just solid rain the whole time all over the area. Hell, if I had even half-days of non-rain in the forecast, I would still take it down there. But the forecast says its solid all three days...90% Saturday and 100% Sunday.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Romans - doctorate in Higher Ed admin.

Dean - the forecast is solid rain all weekend. If it was just scattered showers, plans would still be on. Saturday & Sunday are supposed to be toad soakers...just solid rain the whole time all over the area. Hell, if I had even half-days of non-rain in the forecast, I would still take it down there. But the forecast says its solid all three days...90% Saturday and 100% Sunday.
Yeah solid rain is just miserable.

Good luck! A colleague of mine has an Ed. D. and another has just begun a Higher Ed / Admin Doctorate at Mizzou.

I'm still a lowly Grad student :D But have toyed with the idea of continuing beyond that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Romans. Honestly never thought I would go back...but a year ago my boss planted seeds in my head of thinking beyond my director level, but in higher ed you have to have the doc really to do that.

So 12 years after doing my masters, I found myself in a classroom again last Fall. I'm enjoying it, even though an old conservative like myself is definitely a miniority in that group!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I have a buddy in Houston, got a new bike, msf course.
for a month and really hasn't been able to ride. .

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
My rule of thumb, if its raining when I want to leave I don't. In Fl. If you travel a couple counties, you're bound to hit rain.. it comes and goes. Why I wear a helmet. .

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty soggy in Kansas this spring as well. We went from Wichita (south central Kansas) to KC (NE corner) last weekend and many wheat fields had been turned into rice farms.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Just got back from a business trip on the east coast today. There was a heck of a lot of cloud cover over most of the US as I made my way back to Arizona. Aside from landing in Houston for a layover, I didn't see anything but clouds over that entire state. Thankfully, clear skies here and a nice forecast for the long weekend. Sorry, I don't mean for that to come off like I am bragging --- we've had the past three weekends interrupted by rain. Just like the Texans, we don't consider rain to be a bad thing. Just wish it wouldn't interrupt the weekends. ANd I hope that the Midwest / southeast doesn't get the violent storms / tornadoes with this latest system.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Yep, I know what you mean. I was looking forward to making a trip from Houston to East Texas yesterday. But, with all the rain forecast, I would have been riding back in the rain come Monday. Don't want to do that.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Did someone say 70's and dry, hey that's here, guess I'll go ride some.

Sorry for the sarcasm, just could not help it, when I get back I'll punish myself with a piece of cake and ice cream.

If it's any consolation you'll get to appreciate the value of yur education even more.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
For 3 months I had looked foward to this weekend. This was going to be the weekend to make up for all of those weekends in class or working on my studies this past Spring. The bike was going to get its first bona fide road trip to Austin and the Hill Country. This was my carrot to get me through those 9 doctoral hours from hell and working three days of commencement during some good riding weather. But the weather had other plans for me, and the carrot has drowned. That said, I am a native Texan, and no matter what, you never complain about rain in Texas. So I won't. But, damn.
so far its been just lovely, warm and sunny a bit cloudy, but overall it would have been a great day for a ride.. too bad I started early with yard work and now the heat has me beat, I need a nap.. will ride later when it cools off. poncho

well so much for a fine day to ride.. take break from yard work to get a lil siesta.. and wake up to a world of WET. it musta rained the whole time I was sleepin.. ratts, I was gonna take a nice ride down to the lake and watch all the boats that float and peeps that don't.. all I got leff to look forward is more yardwork tomorrow. mor ratts. if it stops raining I mite squeeze in a ride.. poncho

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't mind too much riding in the rain. But there comes a point where I seem to be losing concentration with all the stuff going on: avoiding puddles, drops on windshield, drops on faceshield, other drivers, animals on the road, oily surfaces....

A few weeks ago I was out with a friend in a torrential downpour that started short-circuiting his Vulcan 750 (we think it was water getting into the headlamp or somewhere near the battery terminals). Now that was a <50km/h (31mph) ride!

But even after super rainy rides, I'm happy I rode. Because getting off the bike I think to myself..."...like a boss"

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
Just got back from Pensacola. Saw lots of riders and lots of rain. Saw a couple on a bike and I could barely see out the windshield. That had to hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Denton to Austin, down the I35 corridor in the rain ... no thanks, I hate running down there in the dry ..... now the riding the 3 sisters, that's a different story

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
145 Posts
For the past month here in Utah I've been staring at my Custom longing for a decent ride, however there weather here as well has been soggy every weekend. Not complaining since there has been a nasty drought here as of late, and the fact that I haven't had to fire up the sprinkler system hardly at all here at the house.

Still though I wanna ride... ended up spending the Memorial Day weekend on my CRF instead in southern Utah where the climate is a bit drier:

Really miss the Vulcan though. :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
To all our Houston'ites ... I hope you are either safe or know how to swim. ..... Yikes

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Tramp, did you ride yesterday? I worked Saturday but it was raining anyway. Sunday was only a slight chance of rain, so I went riding with a buddy of mine. We rode about 230 miles. Cloud cover most of the time and no rain. Great ride.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts