Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what have you guys been using for radio/stereo on a nomad 1700?? Looking for some input and pics of it on the bike. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
How involved do you want to get?

I had the Boss Audio MC420BT for a 4400 mile trip I took. I bought it for $89.99 at Crutchfield. It worked amazingly well, but faded around 80 MPH. It also doesn't handle low tones well. Not a deal breaker, but definitely something to pay attention to.

Now I a fairing from USA Trailer Store. I have a Pioneer head unit and Kenwood 6x9 speakers. The sound is awesome.

My next step in the motorcycle journey is to simplify the bike a little. I want to put the factory windshield back on. A friend just sold me a Sena 20s bluetooth intercom system. So far, I really like this unit, which you can find around $250 on Amazon. The audio is great, but I haven't had it up to highway speeds yet, just 55 around the house. I plan on testing on the highway later today. The Sena is easy to use (after the learning curve) and I can take phone calls (IF, IF, IF I want to) and it gives me communication options with some of the people I ride with (look back at the 4400 mile trip mentioned earlier).

Let me know if you have any questions about any of the setups I have used.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to keep the windshield. I would like to keep it simple as well. I also want it to look good. I was wondering what a windshield mounted one would look like. I need it to have a radio since I don't have a device to store music on.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
If you want the radio, then BOSS makes one that also has an antenna. ***I*** recommend buying an iPod for music storage. No commercials, music where there is no FM/AM signal. An iPod can be found relatively cheap, but again, that's just me. Something like that may work, I just have no experience with them. I also feel like it's big, bulky, and would stick out - I don't like that.

At the end of the day, try it and tell us how it works. Nothing beats options.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nolan NCOM Helmet System is what I use it is very clear better than any speakers I have heard on a bike and does so much more. I have two N Helmets with the system installed. Battery runs 7 to 8 hours. Bluetooth to hook up to your Iphone, Ipod or what I like is my motorcycle GPS Zumo. Have a card in GPS and run all my music through the card and GPS Bluetooth thousand or more songs. I can also listen to voice commands of where to go in helmet through the GPS. It has bike to bike and intercom and 5 preset FM Stations. It is an open face helmet but converts to a full face with shield and has a slider on helmet to push down a sunblock screen also. It is an amazing helmet and I feel and amazing system I love it.

Not for everyone but I sure prefer it to a speaker system on a bike for sure myself. It all works so easy really.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I also use a cell phone and a helmet Bluetooth set-up (on my Classic). I use the standard Sena speakers with one of two apps to improve the sound. "Equalizer" for playing from my music and "RadEQ" when I want to listen to news or music via radio. These apps have a GREAT equalizer feature that can even make the tiny Sena speakers sound ok.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I should invest in an ipod or something. I don't have a smart phone to cheap for that. A helmet I don't know what that is I have one somewhere. I just don't wear it.

I think the windshield mounted one would be to big and look out of place. I am not sure I like them handle bar mounted speakers either. Maybe ipod and ear buds is the way to go.

I have thought about a fairing as hayes mentioned. Hayes you have any pics of it on your bike??

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
go to the last page or two of the 1700 picture thread. If you are interested, I may be selling my total setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts