Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else getting this every so often my 1700 radio looses its memory everything but the input it was set to

All the tone and volume settings but most annoying my CB gets turned off and when I go through the turn the CB on dance its lost its channel and volume setting

·
Registered
13 Posts
Radio memory loss

Sounds like you have a bad ground in the system making intermittent contact. When the audio system loses ground, the presets disappear because they need power to remain in memory. If your bike is still in warranty take it back to a dealer for troubleshooting and repair.
If you are out of warranty, you can probably do the work yourself.While not a serious problem, it can be a little difficult tracing the fault. Your best bet is to check all the grounds starting with the battery and following the wiring all the way to the audio head unit. Use the wiring diagrams in the service manual as a road map to follow. A mufti-meter can be your best tool in checking connections. When you find the problem, clean and dress the connection to make sure it will maintain good contact. It is not too hard, but this sort of thing often takes patience and persistence to overcome.
Good hunting!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and your right a ground would explain it but I have checked all the wiring its good I am pretty sure its not a loose ground as I don't loose the radio when riding over bumps and it is retaining last input memory setting its just sometimes as I ride off my CB has switched off and all the radio settings gone apart form last input its more likely something actually in settings of the radio.

Now if I disconnect the battery for an hour it will then start to remember but then for no reason it will go again at no particular interval I almost thought it was to do with the headset plug as that seemed to coincide but can't see how.

I am trying to see if this has happened to anyone else and how they resolved it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Now if I disconnect the battery for an hour it will then start to remember but then for no reason it will go again at no particular interval I almost thought it was to do with the headset plug as that seemed to coincide but can't see how.
So... you lose your settings but disconnecting the battery for a while the settings will come back? Not sure I'm following this correctly as it wouldn't seem possible.

By any chance are you losing your trip meters and MPG average as well in the dash? I had a questionable battery in my '11 that when starting the bike apparently dropped the voltage enough to lose these settings. My radio presets did not disappear though, didn't change any other settings in there that I would notice altered. Don't have the CB on mine so I don't know if that would have been effected.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So... you lose your settings but disconnecting the battery for a while the settings will come back? Not sure I'm following this correctly as it wouldn't seem possible.

By any chance are you losing your trip meters and MPG average as well in the dash? I had a questionable battery in my '11 that when starting the bike apparently dropped the voltage enough to lose these settings. My radio presets did not disappear though, didn't change any other settings in there that I would notice altered. Don't have the CB on mine so I don't know if that would have been effected.

Sorry to clarify if I disconnect the battery for a while then reset everything how I want it then it seems to retain for a while but that may be misleading me

What seems to happen is once its in this cycle of turning the CB off every time I turn off the ignition the CB will turn off and settings get lost I then need to reset once the battery is reset it works normally for a while

Now you mention it the battery would answer it but with under 1000 miles I had really not considered something so obvious but now I will go test I think you may be right on the MPG also

·
Registered
66 Posts
Now you mention it the battery would answer it but with under 1000 miles I had really not considered something so obvious but now I will go test I think you may be right on the MPG also
My battery was starting to flake just before the 600 mile maintenance, I had the dealer take care of it at that first service. No problems since, not that I've had much time to put on more miles. (arg... I need a free evening or weekend.) If your battery is the source of the problem you'd at least be in like company. If not then I'm out of suggestions!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just thought of this... the "dead battery" scenario also resets the clock. It's a pretty obvious tell that I think you would have noticed...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts