Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is starman1700, do any of you know where I can get a radio antana for a 1700 Voyager ,some low life sob stole mine,hadnt had the bike for one week.A used one or a generic one is fine or if any of you has one that you would part with,Im not going to pay 124.00 for a new one.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I'd almost bet it was not stolen. Many of us have had their antenna fall off shortly after buying the Voyager. Mine fell off on the way home from the dealer, less than 15 miles. Most recommend putting a lock washer and using lok-tite. Do a search on here for alternate antennas. If you bought your bike from a dealer, tell them it fell off. My dealer replaced mine for free.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine fell off too when my wife's coat sleeve brushed it! Only 150 miles on a new bike when this happened. When I removed the cover underneath the antenna mount on the trunk the mounting stud nut fell out. Are you missing the screw on whip part or the stud mount for the whip? If your bike is under warranty dealer may replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In missing the screw on whip.This bike is an 011 with20000 miles.Itried to unscrew it to put the cover on the bike. it was tight stopped at an indoor flea market,and when I came out it was gone

·
Registered
91 Posts
starman1700.....Maybe post an ad on this forum in the classified wanted. Possible some one may have an antenna or just a whip. Also, search for topic on replacing just the whip with an aftermarket. I remember some guy buying a longer whip at an automotive store that was the same thread. Sorry this happened to you.....good way for somebody to get a good ole' country boy arse whooping!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Do a search and you will find its common! They fall off. I grabbed a HD take off am/fm whip for $10 and cut a screw off to make a
stud that fit both the HD antenna and the Kaw socket (same thread pitch/diameter). Lock washerd it in place and that's been 10K miles ago.

I have the instructions for my solution up here somewhere...
Should be a prep item from the dealer...

Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can buy a 32" whip antenna on Amazon for around $30.00. Go to the hardware and purchase a 6mm threaded rod and have it cut under 1.75 inches. Use a little loctite to keep the antenna and rod from unscrewing

·
Registered
547 Posts
Locktite is an insulator. Dont really need it. But if you do, only apply it the the center section of the stud leaving room for
metal to metal contact on the ends.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is true. Thought someone was stealing my antenna until I lost one while riding. I used a bit of loctite on the 4th antenna and it is still there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If it's like mine the antenna is almost worthless. My radio reception is awful. That's why I Bluetooth my phone to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a universal antenna at O Rileys auto parts took the whip off the new one and screwed it on the bike . There is a plastic tube spacer you have to trim . Works perfectly and only spent $14 .

·
Registered
246 Posts
Don't use loctite - it ruins the electrical connection and radio reception. Just use a star lock washer.

I'd almost bet it was not stolen. Many of us have had their antenna fall off shortly after buying the Voyager. Mine fell off on the way home from the dealer, less than 15 miles. Most recommend putting a lock washer and using lok-tite. Do a search on here for alternate antennas. If you bought your bike from a dealer, tell them it fell off. My dealer replaced mine for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
radio antane

Thanks guys for the good info.Thanks RJW. for tip on OReileys,got one from there and it fit perfect,Great forum

1 - 15 of 15 Posts