Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
No, the clock should not have to be reset each time you start. Sounds like you got a short some where. The fan should kick in when the engine hits a certain temp.(don't know). Mine kicks on when I've been riding a while and I'm too long at a stop light.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
If your starter stops suddenly during startup it means the battery is low or has an issue...
Mine has done this a couple of times....
Just like on your car when the battery dies or is unhooked...
You will lose the clock and radio presets...

Hookup a good charger and let it cycle and see if that cures it...
If not then its time for a new battery...

Luckymann77

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a powerful radio added to my 1500, but I realized one day that if you try to crank it before the fuel pump finishes priming, this happens to my clock as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Clock reset is a sign of the battery dropping below 8 volts and will would be smart to replace before it leaves you stranded somewhere.

:good:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I just replaced my thermal sensor and fan still does not come on. The fuse is good and bike runs well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live in Texas and mine doesn't come on a lot. I love it when it does kick on and the Harley guys ask what the hell is that. LOL....If I do a lot of sitting at lights it will come on but it is set pretty high. Short around the thermal switch terminals and if it comes on then you should be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My fan kicked in when I revved the bike for 40 seconds . When it returned to idle, the fan stopped. This must be normal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thread Update

Thanks for the help. I just replaced my thermal sensor and fan still does not come on. The fuse is good and bike runs well.
Again I know this is an old Thread but I'm posting this for future use which may help someone in the future.

Fan Test:

1st pull the fan fuse, take a VOM and look for 12v (w/ignition key in the off position). You should not see any reading on your meter from either side of the fuse receptical.

With fuse still removed turn the ignition switch on. You should see 12v coming from one of the two slots where the fuse fits in.

If you see 12vDC on one of the fuse slots, reinstall the fuse.

Next, remove the electrical plug from the Radiator Fan switch (Temp Sensor).

Once you have disconnected the electrical plug, One of the wires should be Brown/White, the other wire should be Blue. If your wire colors are different, it doesn't matter. Again you should see 12v using your VOM from one of the wires on the meter, the other lead to a good ground.

If you have voltage on one of the wires , proceed ahead:

Next short those two wires Blue and Brown/White together (on the plug) with a jumper, screw driver, what ever, your fan should now run.

If it doesn't run and you have followed the above procedures, then you have a fan issue.

The fan motor could be partially stuck/corroded and needs taken apart and cleaned or it's its defective.

To test the fan motor:

Hook your fan wires to a 12v battery source. Connect the Blue wire to Positive and the Black/Yellow to the Negative side of the battery. It should now run fast and free.

Rog

1 - 9 of 9 Posts