Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to locate a radial tube to mount with my new General Altamax tire for my Vulcan 900. 190/65/15. I'm having a hard time finding one with a centered stem. I'm told the bias tube is too thin for the heat generated by the radial.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Do a search in the "darkside" on this and a few other forums. They should have an answer for you. I have not researched it enough my self to give you a better answer.
I believe how ever you can order Hvy duty tubes for our bike rims

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use a General Altamax 195/65/15, tube never entered my mind. I just had the old tube put in the tire and aired it up. Tubes will get replaced when you get a nail, had the same size put back in and rode on down the road.
If you want the install to go smooth it is a good idea to polish the inside of the rim around the bead, mine felt like a rasp and would not go on without smoothing it out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a General Altamax 195/65/15, tube never entered my mind. I just had the old tube put in the tire and aired it up. Tubes will get replaced when you get a nail, had the same size put back in and rode on down the road.
If you want the install to go smooth it is a good idea to polish the inside of the rim around the bead, mine felt like a rasp and would not go on without smoothing it out.
I ended up buying the same exact tube. The only reason I ask is because I was told I needed to get a radial tube due to the heat produced by the radial tire and there could possibly be a blow out. Upon further thinking there could be no way that the tire would get that hot on a 650lb motorcycle! maybe on a car, yes. Still looking for an installer. No one wants to seem to do it!

·
Registered
424 Posts
The installer problem is universal, dealers will not do it, even some big custom shops won't, but look for an independent shop that works on all types of bikes, lots of us are on the road.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts