Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2004 VN2000 from the original owner. The bike now has approximately 7,000 miles on it after I added 1,400 miles.

I was wondering if other owners of VN2000 are experiencing the same raddling issues that I am having.

On the take off at certain RPM, I hear some raddling around the radiator. Also, while cruising at highway speeds at moderate RPM, I hear this continuous "ting ting ting" sound. However, when I let off on the throttle, it quits.

I have isolated the raddling noise by the radiator and will be applying sticky weather stripping this weekend. This continuous "ting ting ting" noise on the hand is doing a great job of hiding. If anyone is experiencing the same and have corrected this problem, please do share your knowledge.

Thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
126 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, a lot of people complained about an issue like that and it was often found to be the extra wires in the headlight to allow for add on's (light bar etc). No guarantee but that may be a good place to start looking for strange front end rattling sounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was what the dealer and my mechanic told me so I opened up the headlight and checked. Every wire in there is secured down with ties and nothing appears to be loose. Hmmm! I will do one more inspection in there. I wonder if the bulbs are loose in there. I notice the lights bouncing as I ride.

Thanks SteelMonkey.

Peter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also, check in there to see if the wires or harnasses are touching the headlight casing, as this has caused me to have a rattling on previous bikes. All three turned out to be that very same thing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had a rattle, it turned out to be a loose nut holding the lock on right side cover. Took it off, tested and noise was gone.
I'm going to assume this was a fluke and unique to me. Glad I got it before the lock fell on the road...

·
Registered
14 Posts
For what ever it's worth I too have this same noise and it was bothering the heck out of me, it does sound further down like around radiator but it's not on mine... the other day went for my second ride this season and on way back I was focusing in on this noisy sound, it really was bothering me and I thought something major was going on, hoping and Praying it was not an engine noise. Got home from ride and my lady was out back by garage and heard the noise as I gave it some gas, we traced it to the HEADLIGHT.... So hope this helps. Now I have to get inside my headlight to see what's going on in there. makes good sense what was already said about an extra wire for add on for future lights or whatever.... this thing makes a hell of a noise. Not only did we hear it but she put her ear on headlight and felt it and heard it louder from inside the headlight /// Good luck. I will post back here after I fix mine to let you know just what I had to do.

Be safe out there

·
Registered
101 Posts
had the same rattle--traced it to the screws holding the headlight together--they wernt loose just rattling against the metal shroud around them==wrapped them up with good electrical tape reinstalled and no noise--this was a 2000a --i imagine the setup on the classics are diffrent--hope this helps-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your comments. I will dig into the headlight housing once more and this time I am going to wrap the wires either with black tape or stuff something in there so that the wires can't move.

This noise best stop or I will be in the mental hospital soon.

BTW, I noticed that my headlights flash. Is it normal? Someone told me that the bulbs I have are special and that they are designed to flash so that people can see me. I wonder if they were replaced by the previous owner. I can't imagine that they are stock bulbs.

Last but not least, I replaced my stock seats with Mustang seats about a week ago. I now have the stock seats that I will eventually throw in the trash. If someone has the need for them, I will be happy to give it away.

Thanks again everyone.

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts